1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) How do I test my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dwaynea515, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwaynea515

dwaynea515 Thread Starter

Can someone tell me if there is a way to test my hard drive I have an 80G hard drive that crashed when I downloaded and installed a new regcleaner that I was testing. I tried to reinstall XP on and I got through the format and then I kept getting error after error all of the way through the installation. After the installation I got the message that windows could not load because the "shell32" could not be found. I called my local dealer where I bought it to see if maybe it was just my CD that was corrupted and he told me he thought it was my hard drive gone. are there any hints or could someone tell me if maybe I did something wrong? I only formatted the C drive and not the D drive would that be the problem? and if so where should I go from here. I have only reinstalled one other system and it was a w98 and I had several problems with drivers reloading and so I am a little leary of screwing this one up too. But at least this one is my machine so if I did it isnt that bad.

2. ezymony

ezymony

You can go to the harddrive manufacture and get their diagnostic utility to check your hd .

3. preet_kumar

preet_kumar

dwaynea515,
    Did you make 2 partitions, dividing your hard drive into 2, C & D? If so, both must have been formatted. If you have 2 hard drives, not formatting the second would not matter, only you would not be able to use it till you format it.

If your hard drive is an IBM or Hitachi, my suggestion is to boot from the CD, and then download a SMART testing utility from Hitachi's web site: www.hgst.com, and use it to test your drive. If you have Norton Utilities, in the SysDoctor, there is a SMART status utility, which you can use to test your drive.

I hope this helps.
    Preet

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's real unlikely that an installation killed your drive. It would be nice to know what brand/model it is so we could make specific recommendations.

5. dwaynea515

OK sorry, I have a Legend comp with a Maxtor 6L040J2 Hard drive which is a80G drive. I have just found the diagnostic tool from their website and it says that the hard drive passed all of the tests. I did not run any of the quick tests I did all full tests. I did not format the D drive on my hd just the C because I was going to reinstall on C drive. so if someone would just help me to start out I would like to go ahead and start form scratch and clean the drive and start all over. remember I have not formatted and installed before so I will need very plain directions

6. dwaynea515

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Are you reinstalling from an Upgrade version CD of XP or a full bootable version?

What was the name of the Registry cleaner you think caused the problem?

8. dwaynea515

The registry cleaner was "easy clean" and I was deleting duplicate files. I am trying to install from a full system install CD. I am using the diagnostic utility to write Zeros to the drive. After this I will wait until someone tells me what to do next.

9. dwaynea515

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice