1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] How do I update Award BIOS....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BadMoFo, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Thread Starter

Hello everyone, this is my first post so bare with me !!

I've been trying to install Windows XP Home Edition for the last couple of weeks without success. I've searched this forum and found some ideas from other people who are suffering the same sort of error messages I get, and have tried the suggestions put forward by other forum users. So far not so good!!
    I gave in and called Microsoft and they say the problem is being caused by my BIOS and I need to update it. Unfortunately I am at best an intermediate computer user and am unsure exactly how to do this.:confused:

Can anyone help me and explain in plainest english (I get lost fast when people use too much technical speak!) what steps I need to take in order to update my BIOS.

Heres what I've got and what I've done so far.......

BIOSTAR M7VKD motherboard
    Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    vkd1004f (10/04/01)

I've been to the BIOSTAR web site and downloaded the vkd0319f update from the M7VKD page, and also Awd887.exe, but so far not done anything with them.

I've read people's comments about being very careful when updating you BIOS so I'm a bit worried that, with my limited computer expertise, I'm going to do it wrong and kill my poor pooter!

PLEASE HELP!! :D

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There should be a detailed explanation about upgrading the BIOS on the web site. Basically, you put the stuff on a bootable floppy and run the correct command line to do the upgrade. The tricky part comes if you interrupt the process, kick the plug out, etc. Then you can end up with a dead motherboard, at least until you pull the FLASH and program it off-board. I've upgraded 100's of BIOS versions, and twice I've had to resort to removing the FLASH and programming it with my FLASH programmer. Follow the instructions on the MB web site to the letter and you should end up with an upgraded BIOS.

Of course, it's obvious that if you don't have a FLASH programmer, you're kinda' stuck if the upgrade goes south! :)

3. geralds

geralds

It is pretty easy to upgrade the bios. Instructions are usually in the award flash packed program.

Be sure and find the instructions for the version of flash program that you are going to use and PRINT THEM OUT before you start.

Precautions are part of the instructions but they are generally; don't power down or touch anything on the computer once you start, make sure you have the correct bios for your motherboard before you start....no guessing allowed on whether you have the correct bios....

If unfortunately the power fails and your computer wont work, new bios chips usually plug in and are available from the motherboard manufacturer.

Another precaution for others reading this...you need a good reason to change your bios..no point in risking failure without a good reason...all bios updates that I have seen have a text file explaining the changes on each bios...if you dont need those fixes or enhancements for your particular configuration dont flash the bios. The saying "If its working dont mess with it" applies here.

4. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Thread Starter

johnwill

I've just found instructions at the Biostar site, I'll give it a go (should I order a new MB first JIC!!!??!!)

Ta

5. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Thread Starter

Cheers peeps,

All updated and still working !!!!!!

B.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice