1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) HTML or Plain Text

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by boyoh53, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

Hello, although not a business person I thought this might be the best place to get an answer to my query.
    Which is the most preferred text, HTML or Plain Text. :confused:
    I use OutlookXP Office 2002.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

boyoh53
    Preferred is probably not the correct term to use because many in business would like to have HTML capability but may be limited to Plain text by company policy and administration restrictions.
    Technically if HTML E-mails are received and ones setting are Plain Text all they view is the text at default fonts and never know there was more to the message.

Dave

3. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

Hello davey7549,
    Thank you for reply. For some reason I believed
    HTML was frowned upon. Can I take it that it doesn't really matter
    which is used? I wouldn't like to make emails difficult for some.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

boyoh53
    I guess you have to use discretion on who the recipient is going to be and if it is business related. If it is for business using your companies letterhead for example would not be frowned on where other HTML extras would. Most E-Mails that I receive from Companies are Text, but now and again have recieved one on company letterhead. Letterhead is nice if the foot print is small, the background pleasing and most of all does not distract from the message.
    You must also remember when crafting a HTML E-Mail to be considerate of the recipient. Html laced E-Mails can become rather large when Pictures, Anamations, or Sounds are included. If the recipient has a dial-up connection they could be waiting a bit for the download process and not be able to stop it.

Dave

5. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

:) Thanks davey,
    For ordinary domestic use then plain text would do just as well.
    TIA. ;)

6. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

Thank you

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/108801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice