{RESOLVED}HUB Connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

F-EMDE

I have 2 computers 1 foot apart, both running Win98 se. I have a cable modem & I have a Hub (NetGear Ethernet Hub EN104tp). The way they are connected is: Computer "Fred" is connected with stright through cable to port 3 of the hub. Computer "Mary" is connected with a stright throuhg cable to port 2 of the hub. The cable modem is connected with a stright through cable to port 4 of the hub. The swt. on the hub is set to uplink. With this connection both computers work with the internet just fine, but I can't get them to talk to each other with any concistence, not at all lately. I have set up all the sharing for drives & printers but to no avail. Is anyone out there use the same hub as I am & if so how do you have it connected. I tried using port 1, 2 & 3 and leaving 4 blank, but it won't do anything that way. I have looked at the NetGear site, but it didn't help, they talk like yor should never use port 4 unless you are cascading hubs !!!
Fred

F-EMDE

Network Configuration:
Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial Up Adapter
Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C/8130)PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
TCP/IP ->Dial Up Adpter
TCP/IP ->Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C/8130)PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Primary Network Logon
Windows Logon

Network Idenyification
Computer Name Mary
Work group AG FIBERGLASS
Computer Description AMD 450 mh 256 mb MEM

Network Access Control
Share-level Access control

IP Configuration
Host Information
Host Name MARY.mmcable.com
DNS Servers 24.94.227.33
Node Type Broadcast

Ethernet Adapter Information PPP Adapter
Adapter Address 44.45.53.54.00.00
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255

If there is anything else you need, you will have to tell me how to get it.
Both systems are configured the same.
The systems did work right for a while after I fooled with it for a week, and then it seemed to just go away.

What protocols and other services do you have installed in the network config. Both have to have the same workgroup name...protocols and if you are using TCP/IP they have to be on the same network and subnet. Post your settings and we'll see what we can do.

F-EMDE

I am reopening this post because I have never got it resolved, I had some trouble with virues for a while and just now getting back to this problem. Any suggestions
Fred

F-EMDE

Thanks for everyones help. To fix the problem I added one more protocol "NetBEUI" I still don't what it is for but it works, both computers can look at each other & there printers. The way I have my hub hooked is not like any examples i've seen but it works, if I want the computers to talk to each other, I turn off ZoneAlarm on both computers, push the uplink button on the hub to take it out of uplink so the cable modem will be disconnected from the computers, so I don't have to worry about some one coming in from the internet while I am talking between my computers, then when I am ready to get back on the internet I just punch the uplink button & turn on ZoneAlarm and I am in business.
Fred

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online