1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Hub Vs. Switch (what's the diff)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chevy4x4trucks, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chevy4x4trucks

chevy4x4trucks Thread Starter

I was wondering what the difference is between a hub and a switch. I went to buy another hub and ended up picking up a switch by mistake. Is there a real world of difference? My cousin said keep the switch because it was better. But when I hooked it up it ran slow.

So, can some one explain to me what each one does and if I should keep the switch.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

chevy4x4
    There is a significant difference in how communications are handled. Common Hubs can not be specific in who they send the information to and switches can. Here is a site that explains basically to the differences.
    http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/guides/gd2001-07-17.html
    Hope that helps.
    Dave

3. chevy4x4trucks

Thanks for the link, the graphics really simplify it. Everything I found before didn't make any sense.

Now for my next question. How do I hook up the switch? I've got three computers in my room and usually another two that are brought over for gaming that would need to run off of the switch. I had hooked it up before the same way I had the hub hooked up and the network ran exceedingly slow. I have full length movies on my server computer that I watch off another computer w/ a tv out and it was lagging. I took the switch out and put the hub back in and it ran great. Am I doing it wrong or something? Is there a certain way to hook it up?

It's a a netgeat 8 port 10/100 switch.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chevy4x4
    Here is a networking site I refer everyone to since it is well detailed and has Pic's!
    http://www.helmig.com

Here is the specific area within the site for switches.
    http://www.helmig.com/j_helmig/switch.htm

As far as the speed difference it may be due to the way you have the system configured hub/switch/server ect.

I am sure you will find all your answers there!
    Dave

5. chevy4x4trucks

Thank you for another usefull link. I'll have to mess w/ it this weekend. I'll let you know if I hit any snafu's w/ it.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chevy4x4
    Yes keep us posted, many of us just use Hubs so any info given on switches will help us all learn.
    Dave

7. chevy4x4trucks

I gave it another shot. Just took out the hub and hooked up only the three computers in my room w/ the netgear switch. It still ran slow, I mean, really slow. I tried switching around the wires and that didn't do anything. I put the hub back in and connected the switch upstairs and then my two sisters computers to the switch and ran a movie from my server and it worked great. I find it odd. I'm not sure what the problem is.

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chevy4x4
    Went to your site and I see you are creating quite a home network.
    Impressive!!!!!!!
    Don't have an answer for you as to why the switch is slowing the transfer down where you placed it. It actually should be faster I would think. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in networking will have some ideas.
    Dave

9. Toddles18

Toddles18

Just a thought maybe one of your NIC's are autodetecting the switch at the wrong speed. Right click network neighborhood, properties. Open the properties on your network adapter and then click the advanced tab, select the speed, duplex, then select 100mbps full if your switch is full duplex or half if it is half. Let us know if that helps.

10. chevy4x4trucks

Thanks for the help. Some of my friends are coming over tonight for a little gaming so it would give me a good chance to mess w/ it. For some reason I think my current computer that I use as the server is to blame (compaq). I've got a new computer coming in a few weeks that should take care of it as the problem. Just my thought that it's messing things up. I'll keep the compaq still since it is a PIII 450, it'll make a good gaming machine.

I'll let you guys know how it goes and I'll see if the computer changed the settings on me and went back to 10. I suspect that may be the problem since my server hooks up to the hub and three other computers hook up to that. Then the switch is hooked up to the hub and my sisters two computers are plugged into the switch. They can play a video off of my server just fine. So, the problem would have to be w/ my server since the switch seems like it's working fine then.

BTW, also fixed a problem w/ my sisters new computer, I finally got it to see the network.

11. chevy4x4trucks

Gave it a try last night and I hit the same problems. Here's a sketch I did in autocad of the network set up. Is my problem in the hookup?
    [​IMG]

12. chevy4x4trucks

Must've been a glitch when I did it the other time, because now it's working great. No problems w/ the switch what so ever.

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chevy4x4
    Thats good to hear. Maybe it was one of the units E-net card that was running at 10 instead of 100. Who knows! Great have fun creating your own city of computers.
    Will request this thread resolved.
    Dave

14. chevy4x4trucks

I don't know if that was the problem or not. I hooked it up friday and it worked great, played Delta Fore II for a few hours online w/ some friends, and then loaded a movie later and it gave me the same problem w/ slowness. So, I cut the power to the switch and then it worked fine. Who knows? It's kind of odd, but it's been going great. There wasn't a big price difference between the hub and the switch either.

Now I just can't wait to get my new computer. I think that when I get the new one as the server instead of the compaq it will take care of a lot of my problems.

15. chevy4x4trucks

Almost forgot to add:

Thanks for all the help :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice