1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] hyperlinks won't open when clicked

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by starchild, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I asked this awhile ago, and got some suggestions I tried at the time. Like repairing IE 6 (I just tried that again), restoring defaults, and cleaning out files.

When I click on a hyperlink (for example if someone sent me one in an email, or if I saw one on a post here) a clear looking box comes up and the hourglass icon, but nothing ever happens after that. I finally click on the X in the clear box to cancel it and it says "action cancelled- page cannot be displayed".

I tracked down something I wanted to ask about, if it could be a possible cause.

I have WIN 98 SE and IE 6

In MY COMPUTER> VIEW>FOLDER OPTIONS> FILE TYPES

URL Hyper Text Protocal

There are two of these, exactly the same.

When I look in them (edit) it says Content Type (MIME) IExplorer.

Would this be causing the problem? Should I delete one of them?

Also, while I'm in the same place, I see many names of programs I no longer have installed (like The Cleaner) and names relating to this. One was a file of trojans (from The Cleaner) I clicked it and REMOVE and it said if I take it out I won't be able to open files with that extension. I wasn't sure what to do, so left it in.

But, there seem to be many enteries in this section that I don't have, and probably don't need to be in there.

How do I know what I can take out? Or, should I just leave it all in?

Main question is, if I have two the same (the URL HTP- IExplorer) would this cause a problem with links opening?

I can click on icons, like on my desktop and they open fine.

Thanks,

~ Carrie

2. Miz

Miz

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

It says page cannot be displayed (the link you gave)

It's not just Outlook Express and the window does try and open (comes up clear, but never loads) when the link is clicked.

Can I delete one of the duplicate entries in the file options?

Maybe because there are two there, it doesn't pick either of them to open links?

I can't see why it shouldn't be okay to delete one, but might be something I don't know about.

~ Carrie

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you click on a hyperlink in a web page and only a blank window appears,

Go to Start / Run
    Then enter regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    Click Ok when finished
    If that single change does not resolve the problem, repeat the process by registering the following dll files.
    Shdocvw.dll
    Msjava.dll
    Actxprxy.dll
    Oleaut32.dll
    Mshtml.dll
    Browseui.dll
    Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

5. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I must be missing something or not doing it right

When I put the file name in (START-RUN- FILE NAME-OKAY) it says it can't find the file and to make sure the path is correct.

I tried retyping it several times. It says OKAY but it also says OPEN. Is there something I'm supposed to open first?

This is supposed to register the files?

This is something new so I'm easily confused.

~ Carrie

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What exactly are you entering in the Run box. It sould be:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Exactly what did you type? To register urlmon.dll you must enter:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Then you should get a message "dll successfully registered". You can repeat that for the rest of the dlls. None should be missing, especially those which IE Repair verifies.

However, be advised that this problem is often only corrected by restoring your original copy of oleaut32.dll from cabinet files. It has become a fairly common one with some Win98/IE6 users for some reason.

To restore the file, use the System File Checker:

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
    2. Check "Extract one File"
    3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
    4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
    5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

8. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, I wasn't putting the space after the 32. I copy/pasted it and it said it accepted it, but still didn't work (links)

I'm going to copy/paste the rest in, but think I'll try the file checker first.

I have a HP restore disk (WIN 98 SE) that doesn't seem to have separate files on it the system restore can get. I tried this before with another one, and finally had it restore it (without the CD) and it found it somewhere.

I have a full restore CD for WINDOWS 98, would that be the same?

Speaking of CABS, I have some strange zip files named CABS in C:\PROGRAMS, I asked about in another post.

Just saw someone has responded to that (I see Yahoo mail in the corner when something comes in) I'll check that out.

I know, I'm at the point where I should just restore WINDOWS all over again, but I don't want to if I don't have to :)

Plus, I'm probably learning a lot this way.

Thanks,
    Carrie

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you have this folder: c:\windows\options\cabs

That is the location typically used for Windows cabinet files. Even on HPs

"Restore" CDs are not what we are looking for, unless you have a Microsft system CD and that wouldn't have come with an HP

Even if you don't have it, there is another option: install the "mcrepair.exe" patch available from this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q321915&

10. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Used System file checker and none are missing.

Was I supposed to try and restore one anyway? (I'm not experienced with this)

Reread it and seems like I am- will try that (I'm writing this as I go along)

Oleaut32.dll can't be found to restore. I tried putting it in RUN and a box came up like the Shdocvw.dll that said there wasn't a program to open it with.

Can I find this file as a download somewhere?

-------------------------------------------------------
    I have C\WINOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

----------------------------------------------------------

I tried putting Shdocvw.dll in run (copy/pasted it to make sure)
    A box came up and said it doesn't have a program associated with it to open it and click on MY COMPUTER (files- etc) to create one.

tried same with Oleaut32.dll

I didn't know what that means, like what program would open it?

I thought it was supposed to replace itself like the first one did?

------------------------------------------------------
    It seems like the missing file must be the problem but I wondered about this-

In MY COMPUTER> VIEW>FOLDER OPTIONS> FILE TYPES

URL Hyper Text Protocal

There are two of these, exactly the same.

When I look in them (edit) it says Content Type (MIME) IExplorer.

Should I delete one since they are both alike?
    -----------------------------------------------

Another possibility (thinking of all it could possibly be) for a few weeks now I've had this about.blank, I think it's spyware of some kind.

I have Zone Alarm firewall, run AVG anti virus, Spybot, Adaware (and update them) and now have Spyware Blaster which is supposed to keep it out. And going by the little I get from Adaware, etc. it seems to be working.

I notice a blue IE icon in the lower right taskbar, next to start (where shrunk pages go) and it won't open. The mouse pointer shows about.blank for a name. I can right click on it and CLOSE, MOVE, RESTORE. Only CLOSE works. When I see it, I close it.

Also if it's there, I can see it in CTRL-ALT-DELETE and can "end task". It never opens up as a window.

I've asked about it in SECURITY but didn't get much in response. Someone said to post a HJT log which I did.

It didn't seem to have anything unusual on it.
    (just ran it now, without closing all programs, to find the one I was unsure of and found another one)
    -----------------------------
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 6:17:33 PM, on 4/20/04
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
    O1 - Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Ipswitch.WsftpBrowserHelper - {601ED020-FB6C-11D3-87D8-0050DA59922B} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\WS_FTP PRO\WSBHO2K0.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
    O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {6B4788E2-BAE8-11D2-A1B4-00400512739B} (PWMediaSendControl Class) - http://216.249.24.140/code/PWActiveXImgCtl.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

--------------------------------
    The 016 PWMediaSendControl Class (I've seen before, I think)
    and O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM) (seems to be similar with Sun Java)

I know this is probably a different topic, but don't know what might be related to the problem with the links not working.

This is where I now am...

~ Carrie

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You still need to put the "regsvr32" before everything like with "urlmon.dll"

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Msjava.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In post 7 I gave instructions for using the System File Checker to restore the file oleaut32.dll

That is the only one that occasionally needs to be restored. It is not a case of it being "missing", just not compatible with other ole files used with IE6

Follow those steps, enter oleaut32.dll as the file to be restored and enter c:\windows\option\cabs as the location to be restored FROM

If you get any error messages let me know exactly what the message was and what step you were on when it occured. You can have sfc backup the old file in the process.

13. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

It works!!!

Bob, I tried all of those (and it seems obvious to put that part in front of all of them, now that I understand it) That didn't do anything, I tried them all first.

Rog, I went and put in the file,(copy-pasted it) and typed in (carefully) where you said to restore it from, and it kept saying the file was not found and to check the path, etc. I knew I was typing it right (though I was putting it caps would that matter? Just thought of that, now)

Then used the BROWSE option and found option/cabs you had me look for earlier (which was how I knew it was there) and found it, clicked on it, continued- and it restoried the file.

I don't know why it didn't when I typed it in, it looked like the same thing.

Anyway, I was so surprised when it said it had found and restored it.

Had to restart my computer, than went to email and clicked on one of the links that had come in for here, and it worked!

You guys are GREAT teachers.

Thank you!

I'm more psyched I managed to get it to work than having it work. I love it when something finally is resolved. Maybe that's part of why so many people like computers.

I know some (who have the money) who have theirs fixed anytime something isn't working right, or they want it set a certain way. And complain about how expensive the upkeep is on them. In a way, I'm lucky I don't have money to have someone else fix mine, and I have so much help in learning it myself.

~ Carrie

14. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Oh a question about this..

How come the System File checker didn't find this? Or, isn't it a system file?

How would I find out if something like that was missing, if I didn't have people here who knew it and told me?

Is there something I can use to check all the files I need and make sure they're there and working?

~ Carrie

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know why the typed entry didn't work for you, it should have if you got the path and all the backslashes correct and didn't neglect to put the colon after c:\

But browsing there is another method, and you should see the path remain in the little drop down menu for the future.

Glad it worked for you, it usually does, but of course not always.

>>> OOPPs, I know why it didn't work! I just looked at my last answer.

It should have read c:\windows\options\cabs

options is plural not singular. My Bad :(

However my first effort had it right.

As for the System File Checker, I would not rely on the "Scan" function to determine whether files need to be replaced. It is often wrong. Usually if you are having a problem with a specific file and have exhausted other remedies, then it's time to try a replacement. But not ALL files should be replaced that way. Many are version specific to Internet Explorer and only reinstalling that replaces the right ones. The IE Repair Tool is what is used to verify those files.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice