1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) I can't get win98 to load it says Explorer has performed a illegal operat

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by computer_pet, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

:mad:

About three hours ago my computer froze, i didn't really care as it does it alot. I turned it off. About a hour ago I needed it so I turned it on and when it started windows it came up with enter the serial number windows. I did and then it started to install a new user. It looked as if windows had been re-installed and this was the first time it was loading. It went through everything then it finished. I put my password in (If it matters it is the Network Password). Then it stops for about 10sec (usally does this [really slow computer]). Then a windows window came up {Explorer has peformed a illegal operatio and must be shut down....} I clicked close. Then nothing happens. it just sits with my background. I turned the computer off and tried again it went straight to Network Password this time but the Illegal error came up again.

Also I go Ctrl-alt-del and close program thing come up with the only thing in the list "Accstat"

I tried again this time in safe mode, same thing happened (but the safe mode message came up this time)

I thought I mite try loading windows from command prompt so i went into windows directory and typed win, this comes up with the same error again!

What can I do? :( :(
    I really need this computer fixed in 3hours

Thanks computer_pet:cool:

2. computer_pet

3. computer_pet

4. computer_pet

I think I may be Fixing the computer. I am re-installing Windows from Dos. I hope it works!

Any other ideas would be great if anyone is reading this

5. computer_pet

Hi just to let people know that, today I finished re-installing Microsoft Windows 98. On the computer. The instructions are below that I used.

when computer loads in Dos push/press F8 > select Dos Prompt Only

Type> DOSSTART so that all drivers load.

Put Windows 98 Seccoond Eddition in

Type> d:\
    >setup

Go through all setup instructions, wait three hours for windows to install (n)

Load windows for first time, re-install all drivers, plug-n-play ect..

Setup Internet/Network again

Then everything was fixed in a total time of 15hours!

Hope this helps anyone else who gets the same problem

computer_pet

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice