1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] I erased an .exe file that I need to restore....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by manny1, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manny1

manny1 Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I must state for the record before I begin that I am totally illiterate when it comes to computers. I'm asking if anyone out there would be gracious enough to help me get out of a minor predicament. I received word from a well intended individual that my system may have become infected because I was in her address book. After reading the email I verified that I did have what appeared to be a 'virus' and deleted it without first verifying the authenticity of the email. Obviously she was misinformed as well as me. So...to make a long story short, I deleted the file and now I'm trying to restore it according the the directions and appear to have run up against a brick wall. The file is Sulfnbk.exe
    I went to the 'run' feature from my start menu and proceeded to restore. When I got to the last part I get an error message that states the file was not found in the "FROM" location. Everything is set up on my C: drive so I don't know what is happening. Any recommendations for a rookie?? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

http://antivirus.about.com/library/weekly/aa052601a.htm

Windows 98
    Windows 98 includes a handy tool known as the System File Checker which can be used to restore damaged or deleted files. To open SFC, click "Start" | "Run" and type "SFC" without the quotes. Click "OK". System File Checker will launch a dialogue box with two choices. Choose "Extract one file from installation disk".

In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type "sulfnbk.exe" (without the quotes). Click "Start".

You will be prompted to specify the location that contains the file you want to extract and the destination directory for that file. You will need to input the "Restore from" location and the "Save file in" location.

"Restore from" will be the win98 folder on your Windows 98 operating system CD. It is easiest and most accurate to use the "Browse" button to locate and select the folder. The "Save file in" destination folder is the Windows directory and Command subdirectory. For example,
    C:\WIN98\COMMAND

When both boxes have been filled in, click OK. You should receive a message stating "The file has been successfully extracted". Click OK and close any remaining SFC dialog boxes.

Windows ME
    The utility "SFC" (System File Checker) does not exist in Windows ME.

The correct procedure to restore the file SULFNBK.EXE is as follows:

1.) Insert the Windows ME Installation CD. Cancel the Setup program if it starts.

2.) Open MY COMPUTER. Right click on the CD-ROM drive that contains the WinME installation CD and select "Explore."

3.) Open the "Win9X" folder, and locate the file "PRECOPY1.CAB." Double click this file to open it.*

4.) Locate the file SULFNBK.EXE in this .CAB file. Right click on it and select "Extract."

5.) In the "Browse for Folder" dialog box, locate the "COMMAND" subdirectory in your Windows directory, e.g., "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND."

6.) Click "OK" to extract the file.

Note: This procedure MAY NOT work if support for compressed folders is not installed in the Windows setup tab under "Add/Remove Software" in the Control Panel.

3. manny1

manny1 Thread Starter

Thanks savvyLady!!!:) It worked!

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I went thru this last year & as recently as last week the e-mail was circulating the hoax again...

I learned the hard way too...lol

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice