1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}I need nVidia display & sound adapter...help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SavvyLady, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

well I somehow have lost sound & now in trying to repair it have made it worse. I thought I knew how but apparently not. WinME here... New PC so Im as lost in it as can be.
    Something happened to it yesterday when I went to Yahoo audio chat.... it asked if I wanted codecs but wouldn't finish the upload & I just rebooted it after it froze an didn't attempt to go back... then last night I ended up not being able to browse properly...so I ran the full gauntlet of maintenance & made it better.. But this morning I noticed it was still taking forever to load the applet here when moving thru the forum.
    So I turned winamp on a few minutes ago & no sound...
    Now I have a conflict showing in device managers for the display adapter

Can someone walk me thru this please?

I'm in safemode.. it will not let me back in in normal & almost didn't get back at all cause it can't find the hardware (P&P)

2. deuce

deuce

Ouch... well I'm assuming you have data on there you don't want to lose?... otherwise if you don't you may want to reformat and use the vaio recovery disk just because there are so many problems that is the quickest and easiest option. (You have a VAIO right... or was that someone else?) If you need to fix it and can't reformat then we should try taking this one problem at a time. We first need to get you back in regular mode. Can you use the Me cd to boot? If you are still in safemode try replacing the display adapter. Click on it in system properties under properties in the drop down when you right-click my computer. (faster that way) I guess it won't matter if you use the ms driver for the display adapter so get one off the Me disc and hopefully that will solve what's keeping you in safe mode. Was your sound working before you were put in safe mode? If it was, that may be why it isn't working now... you may get it back once you get back into regular mode.

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

hi deuce ... yea its me w/ the VAIO
    its been a couple days since I tried the sound... last thing happened was in Yahoo... as far as I know... it may have something to do w/ MSN messenger as well.I had a time getting it out of startup. At any rate... I can go & do the reinstall from a few days ago....

let me try that... ok?

4. deuce

deuce

k I thought so... do you need anything that is on it? You could try backing it all up somehow and doing a full restore...

5. deuce

deuce

Oh I see you edited... are you talking about restoring the registry from a few days ago?... ok I'll wait.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

OK Im back... yea i did mean restore the registry.. All done & still having problems loading links & URL's & when I click Home & the view ... it takes forever to load the applet.... & guess what?

Still no sound!

Least I don't have a conflict in device manager anymore

I wonder if this could have something to do with a security update i did about a week ago?

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

How do you get to the activeX or is that DirectX.............graphics & audio checker?

8. brianF

brianF

Have you tried just reinstalling your sound card drivers. Should have them on disk that came with the computer

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

brian I tried that before but it was messing with me & wouldn't let me do anything. Thats why I couldn't get out of safe mode.... so now I have done the system registry... maybe its safe to do the driver restore now. I have 4 CD's that came with this thing... 1 says drivers & it didn't find it there last time... maybe this time it will. 2 system recoveries & 1 application recovery & Driver recovery.

10. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Have you tried doing the system restore function that is available to you in win me savvy,sorry if Im speaking out of turn but just wondered? progs/acc/sys tools/sys restore ...Bob

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

hEY bOB...

OK GUYS iM BACK & i REINSTALLED THE DRIVER FROM THE cd & STILL HAVE NO SOUND.
    i AM GETTING AN ERROR NOW THOUGH. i WAS LISTENING TO REAL RADIO EARLY THIS MORNING... OR LAST NIGHT ONE... OOPS.......CAPS...sorry bout that.

let me check a couple more things out here.

The error is when I try to play an MP3... says MMSYTEM032 the specified format can not be translated or supported. Use the Capabilities function to view supported format ......

meaning what... I can't play MP3's anymore??????????

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you run a virus scan lately and scanned for spyware? ;)

13. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

yes I did... last night when I was having so much trouble I ran a full battery of test. online & onboard my own system. I also scanned & defragged.

I can't find a solution for this -> MMSYTEM032 the specified format can not be translated or supported. Use the Capabilities function to view supported format ......
    I just redownloaded winamp as well. Still no sound

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

15. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

ok... i'll be back soon

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice