Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[Resolved] Illegal Operations & blue screens

2K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  Rollin' Rog 
#1 ·
I need lots of help, I am new to the board and am so very glad I have found this site.
I have had problems for weeks now.
I have a Compaq Presario 600 mhz, 7 gb, 184 mb Ram
Running windows 98 2nd edition.
I have been getting illegal operations on Iexplore and other programs this is just a few I have gotten this evening:

Iexplore
module (unknown) at 0000:0042b2b9
module (unknown) at 0000:0042b629
module oleaut32.dll at 0167:653aac21
module mshtml.dll at 0167:7ae09e75
module flash.ocx at 0167:1001d0a6

Blue screen reading:

Exception OD has occurred at 0028:00000038 in VxD

I have been reading the forums and have tried the following with nothing but problems

Cannot update windows at the microsoft site it gets half way through and freezes up.
Cannot run virus scan at Panda site or house calls freezed up half way through...

Can anyone help me.....that is a silly question....I know someone out there can and am sure they will need more info then I have posted here please let me know what else you need to diagnois my problem.

I have tried to reinstall windows with no hope every time I do this I come up with the blue screen and it will not contiune I have also tried to repair Internet Explorer with the same problem

I am sure I have a windows file missing or corrupted same as in explorer.

I am thinking a virus but my avg will not detect it and I cannot download any other virus scans...

Will be watching the board for any responses or solutions...

Thanks !!!!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to TSG, Lori.

Many similar problems are caused by ad and spyware that get stealthily installed into many systems.

We need to have a look at what you have running. To show us, download, unzip and run the StartupList.exe program from the site below. Then with the text file displayed, click Edit>Select All>Edit>Copy and paste the copied text to a message reply here.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

And to save time, download, install and update Spybot following directions from the site below. But don't run it until you've gotten some feedback on your startups.

http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/

#4 ·
Try this, go to start>run msconfig and clear the check for the "startup group" on the general page. If you can get back online, try running an online virus scan from one of these two sites:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

You can also try that spybot download again, but I fear you may have something like the "spaces" virus. Fortunately there may be a fixtool available that will work for it.

And if you were able to download and unzip StartupList, please run and post that BEFORE disabling the startup group.

#5 ·
I have downloaded the spybot again and all I get is a document file.....
I will try panda virus scan one more time but like I said in my first post it gets 1/4 the way through the scan and freezes .

Then I will try the msconfig and will hopefully be back later to update you.

If it is the spaces virus is there somewhere online I can go to get a removal tool for just that virus....??

Thanks...
Hope to be back soon.

#6 ·
What I'd like is for you to disable startups under msconfig before running the online scan. That way it will eliminate any startup programs which could be causing interference. We really should have some confirmation on the problem before running a fix. Have you gotten the StartupList program downloaded? It would be very helpful to see that. Remember startups must be enabled for it to list them.

#8 ·
I went and disabled startup and ran virus scan again it worked this time it detected no viruses.
Now I need to try and download the spybot again but it would not work the two times I tried but will try again and will reply back to you as soon as I get it done.
The spybot will download but I only get a text document with alot of non-sense and then I go and find the file and when I click the setup it tells me there is a corrupted file..

#9 ·
There are two different downloads on this page. One is a zip program and the other a self installing exe. Which one are you downloading and what extension does it have when you see the download window? does it have the same extension when it completes its download?

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

If you are downloading the zip one, try the other. If you are downloading the exe try the zip. You will need a zip program to unzip it. Then you install by running the enclosed exe.

Have you tried to download and run the StartupList program? If you download it, re-enable your startups at least temporarily before running it. Then copy/paste the results here.

#11 ·
The first one is a ziped program like the Startup list. It sounds like you don't have an installed unzipping program like Winzip.

The second download is better for you. It is a "self installing" exe.

I'd recommend installing Winzip, but until we see what's going on, it's best not to do any major installs.

Another option for you to post startups, is to download and run the StartLog.com file. Then copy/paste the logfile (but not the stubpaths.txt file) to a post.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/4IE_Only/StartLog.com

If you run Spybot, it should best be run with those problem startups disabled or run it in Safe Mode. If you run the StartLog.com file, you must enable startups first for them to be shown.

#12 ·
I have winzip, i have tried installing the zipped file and the startuplist file, but it still downloads a document file and not a setup file.....I am so very confused.
I have the Lavasoft ad-ware program downloaded that I tried a week or so ago when I first started reading the forums here and before I even posted here would that program work?
I am trying at this time to downloaded yet again the spybot.
Why won't it download?
Sorry to be such a pain.....
but my computer is a pain to me right now, I have to reply and read in between illegal operations.....it is getting to be pretty sad on how fast I can surf without illegals popping up all the time...

#14 ·
Finally after all the work I got it to work but now I have to figure out on how to copy and paste I am going by your directions and hope it works.......
here it is..........

StartupList report, 1/7/03, 10:57:51 PM
StartupList version: 1.50
Started from : C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\STARTUPLIST.EXE
Detected: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
Detected: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2614.3500)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\STARTUPLIST.EXE

--------------------------------------------------

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ScanRegistry = C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor = C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
LoadPowerProfile = Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SystemTray = SysTray.Exe

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

LoadPowerProfile = Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SchedulingAgent = mstask.exe

Enumerating Active Setup stub paths:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
(* = disabled by HKCU twin)

[{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}] *
StubPath = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ie4uinit.exe

[>PerUser_MSN_Clean] *
StubPath = C:\WINDOWS\msnmgsr1.exe

[PerUser_LinkBar_URLs] *
StubPath = C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\sulfnbk.exe /L

[{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}] *
StubPath = "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\setup50.exe" /APP:OE /CALLER:WIN9X /user /install

[{7790769C-0471-11d2-AF11-00C04FA35D02}] *
StubPath = "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\setup50.exe" /APP:WAB /CALLER:WIN9X /user /install

[{9EF0045A-CDD9-438e-95E6-02B9AFEC8E11}] *
StubPath = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\updcrl.exe -e -u C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\verisignpub1.crl

[{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}.Restore]
StubPath = rundll32.exe advpack.dll,UserUnInstStubWrapper {44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

[{7790769C-0471-11d2-AF11-00C04FA35D02}.Restore]
StubPath = rundll32.exe advpack.dll,UserUnInstStubWrapper {7790769C-0471-11d2-AF11-00C04FA35D02}

[{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}.Restore]
StubPath = rundll32.exe advpack.dll,UserUnInstStubWrapper {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Load/Run keys from C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI:

load=
run=

Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=Explorer.exe
SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\UNDERW~2.SCR
drivers=mmsystem.dll

Checking for EXPLORER.EXE instances:

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe: PRESENT!

C:\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\System\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Explorer.exe: not present
C:\WINDOWS\Command\Explorer.exe: not present

C:\WINDOWS\WININIT.BAK listing:
(Created 4/1/2003, 19:37:2)

[rename]
C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\NELSPEC.TTF=C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\~GLH0016.TMP
NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\GLB1A2B.EXE

C:\CONFIG.SYS listing:

DEVICE=\SAMSUNG\SSCDROM.SYS /D:SSCD000

C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT listing:

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:SSCD000 /M:10

Checking for superhidden extensions:

.lnk: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
.pif: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
.exe: not hidden
.com: not hidden
.bat: not hidden
.hta: not hidden
.scr: not hidden
.shs: HIDDEN!
.shb: HIDDEN!
.vbs: not hidden
.vbe: *Registry key not found*
.wsh: not hidden
.scf: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: NO!)
.url: HIDDEN! (arrow overlay: yes)
.js: not hidden
.jse: *Registry key not found*

Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:

Tune-up Application Start.job

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Update Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IUCTL.DLL
CODEBASE = http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37625.8011342593

[ActiveScan Installer Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES\ASINST.DLL
CODEBASE = http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as/asinst.cab

[Shockwave Flash Object]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH\FLASH.OCX
CODEBASE = http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

[HouseCall Control]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\XSCAN53.OCX
CODEBASE = http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2002121801/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab

End of report, 5,816 bytes
Report generated in 0.654 seconds

Command line options:
/verbose - to add additional info on each section
/complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
/force9x - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
/forcent - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
/forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
/history - to list version history only

#16 ·
Well I expected to see all kinds of problems when you eventually posted your StartupList, but instead it's one of the cleanest I've seen.

Do you remember the "blue screen" message you got when you tried to reinstall Windows? Or any blue screen?

What exactly happened when you ran IE Repair? Can you try again?

But I think we are going to have to really look at hardware issues, such as overheating or faulty ram.

You can start by doing a ram test using DocMemory:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

Just download the setup program, put a floppy that contains nothing you want to save in the floppy drive and run the setup. Then shutdown and boot with it like a startup disk. Have it run a few "burnin" loops before pressing 'esc' to terminate. Any "fails" indicate faulty ram.

And you may need to take the cover off (shutdown of course), and then blow out any accumulated dust with a blower, and check the fan for proper operation.

Also, go to Start>Run and enter sfc

have it scan for altered system files, but do NOT replace anything before telling us what it found.

#19 ·
Way more than long enough. You're ram is probably fine. Have you tried running the IE Repair Tool again?

OD errors typically signify corruption in memory, which if not Ram, may be heat related when occuring randomly like that. Is the cpu (processor type) an AMD by any chance? They are the must subject to overheating.

#21 ·
Basically I'm trying to say that certain computers are more prone to overheating than others. If you don't feel up to opening the case and doing a thorough check and cleaning, we could try to see if a "software" cooler has any benefits for you. I'd try installing Rain2 from the site below. See if you get any added stability with it. If you do, try updating IE, you need a higher version than 5.0 anyway.

http://www.notebookreview.com/coolcpu.html

If Rain2 causes problems, just uninstall it. You may need to restart in Safe Mode if that happens. To do that, press and hold the ctrl key immediately when starting up until you see the Safe Mode option on the boot menu. Then you can go to Add/Remove programs and remove what you just installed. I hope that won't be necessary, but I just want to let you know it does sometimes happen.

#22 ·
I was finally able to run an explorer repair but now I have a message when I try and open up pages that Explorer has caused an error or something to that effect and it gives me an opition to send a report to microsoft or don't send a report when I close this window explorer shuts down.
Cleaned out my computer and checked fan everything there seems ok......ram test came up clean.
Could I be missing files?
If so is there somewhere I could go to find out.
Still getting Illegal operations on many programs and internet pages. blue screens have not be so recent that is one plus.
Thanks for all of the suggestions you have gave me so far.
:confused: :mad:

#23 ·
We need to see what the "error report" says. When you get this Window, click "click here" and you will see a couple of lines at the top indicating what modules are involved and what addresses. I'm betting it's probably an mshtml error. Possibly this could be a video driver problem; but heat can cause those as well.

By the way did you update IE, because the "error report" only comes with the later versions?

#24 ·
Yes I ran the update IE and have not gotten this message in awhile now but if I do I will report back to you with the errors.
I have cleaned out my system and downloaded Rain2. I have since taken it off it did nothing.
I am still fighting with ILLEGALS.....
I am at the end of my ropes .....
How can I tell if I am having a video driver problem?

#26 ·
One of the ways we can tell if the problems are related to installed video drivers is to completely disable the hardware acceleration associated with them; it's not a fool proof test, but usually a good clue.

You may need to reinstall or update the drivers, so let's start by seeing what you have: go to Start>Run and enter dxdiag then click on the Display tab. On the left of the page you see entries under Device, on the right Drivers. We need the name of the device and the manufacture. On the right we need the current driver name and version. It will also help if you can provide the name and model of the PC itself, so we can look for the drivers at the manufacturers site.

Once you've got that information, right click on My Computer and select Properties > Performance > Graphics. You will see a slider for "hardware acceleration" there. Set it to None. You will probably be asked to reboot now.

Once you have done this your page scrolling is going to seem like molasses in winter, and web pages will probably load slower as well. We just want you to live with this long enough to form an opinion as to whether you are getting substantially fewer errors at this disabled mode. If none, you can try bumping it up a notch or two and see how far you can go before errors result. But at any stage, if it makes a difference, it means there is likely something awry with the driver installation and they should be updated or reinstalled.

By the way, I notice you have a screensaver installed. I used to have all kinds of problems on my Win98 system when I had screen savers. I had to remove and reinstall the video drivers twice, until I stopped running them. I don't know why but they were causing some corruption of the install itself. You can disable the screen saver through Display Settings. (Right Click on the Desktop>Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.