[Resolved] INF Files/ME, 18,000 of them

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TomHill

I have been having some trouble with slow down, downloads, scan disk, anything that accesses my hard drive directories. In searching through some of them I found my Windows/INF directory to be loaded with over 18000 files-17MB. I have another computer in the house and it only has 500 or so. Its so bad that when I click on the inf folder a flashlight comes up for a couple of minutes before it can list them all. I know I don't need this many but I don't know which ones to delete

I have alot of programs on my computer and have 1300 *.inf files. Look to see if you have duplicates. That amount seems way to high. Do a virus scan with updated paterens. If you dont have an A/V, then use the following to do a scan.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

TomHill

I have installed Mcafee 4.5 with the lastest Dat files and it found no virus'

When you make a copy of a file, its name becomes copy of whatever.
Out of curiosity, I wondered how many files you had whose names began with copy of.
Therefore, if you went to find files and searched for copy>> What would you find? 18.000 files came from some source.

TomHill

Thank you, I also contacted Microsoft, there is a know problem and a fix. If you use email support. They gave me an FTP site to go to with a password that was good for seven days. I downloaded the "Hotfix" as they called it and I no longer have a problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online