1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Install 2000 Pro and uninstall 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sarcasm8, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

I have Win98 on my PC. I installed Win2000 Pro (not a clean install because I did not want to erase all my files). Now I have both 98 and 2000 Pro loaded. I thought 2000 Pro would uninstall 98.
    How can I uninstall 98 and be sure my files are still there? Do I need to uninstall 2000 Pro first? If so, how do I do that and then how do I install 2000 Pro to delete 98 but maintain all my files?

Thanks!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If it was the full retail and not the upgrade, it would make the dual boot. Actually I think it should have given you the option in the installation....

The only way that I can think of is to delete or rename (in dos mode) the WINDOWS directory. Then in MSCONFIG, remove the boot option for Windows 98.

3. Dan O

Dan O

To remove Windows98 just delete the folder it is installed in, which is usually the Windows folder. To check which folder that Windows 2000 is installed go to a Command Prompt and type: Set SYSTEMROOT

It will display the drive and folder name. To remove Windows 98 from the boot menu you need to edit the BOOT.INI file and remove the references for Windows 98. Here's a link for details how: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311578

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    dan-0, nice to see you again!

Sarcasm8 has double posted. Please can you arrange for it to be removed.

Sarcasm8, please try to keep one thread going for each problem. If you double post it will get confusing when people give you different answers.

5. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks and you have a good eyes.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I should have one since I work in security ;)

7. Dan O

Dan O

Cool, so you are trained to be observance, which shows.

I am glad you are around.

8. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry about the duel posts. I thought I was initially posting and instead was accidently replying.

How do I delete the Win98 folder in DOS. Specifically, how do I get to DOS and then how do I delete it?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you have the W98 Bootdisk, use that you get to the command prompt.
    type:

C:\

del windows

It will ask you are you sure, press y and enter

If you don't have a boot disk (you can make one in Windows), reboot the machine and hold F8

you can subistute 'del windows' with 'rename windows windows.old'. This way is there is any problems you can simply revert back.

10. Sarcasm8

Sarcasm8 Thread Starter

Awesome. Thanks guys. You beat the terrible 800 number and other lousy tech support these products offer anyday. I've only had to use this forum twice, but you guys always solve the problem quickly and in a way any newbie could understand.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) glad to help :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice