1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Installed XP; can only start in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Matt Milton, Jun 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Matt Milton

Matt Milton Thread Starter

Have just put together a new PC. Installed WinXP Home edition (an upgrade version) with no problems, but it will hardly ever boot properly. It always gets to the Windows XP logo screen; then goes black, showing me the cursor; then just waves goodbye with a tiny little circular dot fading into black in the middle of the screen (sometimes varies this with a screen of fragmented blue lines. Nice.)

So I hit restart and thankfully it recognises it didn't shut down properly, giving me all the options of how I want to restart. I can always restart in Safe Mode, and XP works fine and allows me to do what the hell I want. I have, literally once or twice, managed to start XP normally but it's always crashed after about 5 minutes.

If Safe Mode didn't function so well I'd assume I'd somehow damaged something on the motherboard or hard drive. But who knows... There's a couple of ideas I've had as to what the problem is:

1. I do receive the message "No drive attached to FastTrak controller, The BIOS is not installed" on starting up - I've discounted this as the problem as the BIOS is very much installed (it's cos my moboard can control a RAID configuration if I want it to). I don't think this has anything to do with it.

2. There's something screwy with my floppy drive. On turning on the PC the light goes on and stays on - the way it does when it's looking for a floppy when there isn't one in it. It's detected by WinXP, but doesn't recognise disks you put in. (I got nowhere when I was originally trying to install Win98 using floppy bootdisks - that's why I went the XP route as it's on CD and installing is much easier all round) I might just disconnect the floppy drive full stop and see what happens.

3. The inside of my PC is quite messy. Lots of long IDE and floppy cables hanging loose. This is the first time I've put a PC together so I dunno whether that's important or not. Maybe I should check the my CPU temperature in the BIOS too. Then again, I can run XP in Safe Mode for as long as I like, with no crashes, no problems...

4. Can't remember what my graphics card is. It's recent but cheap. Could there be an incompatibility thing? I also have an M-Audio sound card which is a cut above your Soundblasters and Audigys etc etc. Could this cause crashes like that? Guess it might be worth trying XP without this card?

Here's my system:

MSI 845PE MAX2/FISR P4 533FSB (with Serial ATA; firewire; RAID; Giga LAN; 6 ch. audio; USB2 ATA133) motherboard.
    Intel P4 2.66GHz (533 MHz) Northwood 512K cache processor
    120 GB IBM/Hitachi 180GXP 7200 8Mb cache IDE ATA 100 hard drive
    Have three 512MB sticks of DDR333 PC2700 RAM in

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

check all the cables are plugged corecctly and check you have the lastest drivers for all your hardware , try removing the floppy drive

3. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

#1. All that means is that you don't have any drives connected to the UATA controller. you should be able to eliminate that message by disabling that controller in the BIOS.

#2. If the floppy drive light stays on constantly, the cable is attached backwards. Flip the gray Data Cabe and that should be solved. BUT...If the cable has connectors for 2 drives, make sure you use the connector at the end of the cable.

#3. Cabl;es everywhere can stop proper ventilation inside the case. Do your best to organize the cables, keeping the common ones together and perhaps use Zip-Ties to keep things out of the way.

As far as the Video and other hardware issues...
    When you're in Safe mode, go into Device Manager and remove/uninstall the video card and then reboot the pc. When Windows comes back up, it should load into Normal Mode with default drivers and prompt to install correct video drivers.

If nothing else, run system restore and roll WinXP registry back to before you installed the video drivers.

Good Luck!

ST

4. Mariusz

Mariusz

if what sexytech suggest does not work (with the video card) remove the drivers to all your devices (sound, net, modem etc)
    if windows then boots into regular mode, it will most likely reinistall them automatically if not, u will have to do it

5. Matt Milton

Matt Milton Thread Starter

"As far as the Video and other hardware issues...
    When you're in Safe mode, go into Device Manager and remove/uninstall the video card and then reboot the pc. When Windows comes back up, it should load into Normal Mode with default drivers and prompt to install correct video drivers".

I probably should have paid more attention to this! I kept restarting the PC until, after about 9 or 10 attempts, XP finally kicked in and stayed up for long enough for me to install the drivers for the video card. You were right sexytech - worked like a charm and I now have a beautifully glitch free PC.

6. SexyTech

SexyTech

Glad to be of assistance!

Just make sure that yuou spread the word about TSG!

And an occasional click on a Sponsor Ad won't hurt either!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/139584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice