1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}installshield

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by FranSp, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FranSp

FranSp Thread Starter

I'm using Win98SE, when I run a setup file that I downloaded from the internet... it unpacks all the required files to install. Then right when it begins to go to the setup screen it comes up with this error message.

-Error Number: 0x80070725
    Description: Incompatible version of the RPC stub.

Setup will now terminate.

This has happened with several program demos that I have downloaded. So my question is:

Is there something wrong with my InstallShield or is it the a problem with the setup file and... is there any way to fix this problem?

Thank You, Fran

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Fran
    Welcome to TSG!
    It seems this problem occurs when the current version oleaut32.dll for your OS is overwritten by a newer copy or another third party version. Installshield looks to C:\Windows\System for its version and that will be the one to change.
    You will have to extract a copy of oleaut32.dll from your Win98SE windows CD and replace the one in C:\Windows\System
    Dave

3. FranSp

FranSp Thread Starter

Dave,

Thanks for the great tip! It worked and I'm now enjoying my downloads stress free :>

How did you know what the problem was?

Thanks, Fran

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Fran
    Glad your up and running again.
    Ran across the problem awhile back. Whats unfortunate with that type of problem the message is refers to a RPC (remote proceedure call) which in fact is very seldom used.
    Again glad you got it fixed.
    Come see us whenever you need help or just want to hang around.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice