1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] insufficient memory to load DLL files at startup in Win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zikky, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zikky

zikky Thread Starter

I have a problem when I turn on my computer. It loads to a certain point but not all the desktop icons fully load, some are left with plain icons instead of their actual ones. Then a message appears saying there is insufficient memory to load 'such and such' DLL file and to quit some programs and retry. The problem is , this message freezes the screen completely and I cannot even reboot it with cont+alt+del or get the start menu to work with cont+esc. I have to turn the computer off without properly shutting it down. I tried to restart it several times to see if I could get through the loading stage and then begin to clean up my files to free up some memory, but it freezes every time with various DLL files. I tried to boot it from CDROM Norton Systemworks 2003 and checked it for viruses and this was clean. What else can I do to actually get into the computer files to clean them up, or is there anything else I should be doing?? Thanks

2. pvc9

pvc9

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]
    If this started recently try restoring the registry, that could help. If that doesnt help, see if the computer will boot to Safe Mode and work properly. If it does boot to Safe Mode, you can try the System File Checker. Try restoring the registry first and post back.

Tap F8 constantly when the system starts. This would start a bootmenu and from the menu select the Command Prompt option which would start the computer in the Command Prompt.

Once at the C:\> prompt try this -

scanreg /restore [enter]

Select the date prior to the problems' starting!

3. zikky

zikky Thread Starter

I used Norton Systemworks 2003 to get the C:\> prompt and I typed in what you said. It looked like this C:\>scanreg/restore but it keeps saying "bad command or file name" Am I doing this wrong? I don't know much about DOS language. Thanks

4. pvc9

pvc9

The better option would be to start the computer and then hit the F8 key to load the boot menu. :rolleyes:

As far as the command is concerned at the C:\ prompt you've to type just -

scanreg /restore [enter]

Note the [space] between scanreg and /.

So the command is -

scanreg [space] /restore

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Actually, and just as an FYI ;) you don't need the space.........

6. zikky

zikky Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your patient help. It did work once I booted the system by itself using F8 and was able to restore an earlier form of the registry. It is now letting me in to delete files through control panel and is loading programs. Thanks Again!!!!

7. pvc9

pvc9

[tsg=yourewelcome][/tsg]

Glad its solved.

Candy,
    Thanks for the info. Will try the command w/o space later :p

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice