1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Interesting "perpetual" error on startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by I.B.Laggin, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I.B.Laggin

I.B.Laggin Thread Starter

Upon starting my computer, I get an interesting error which I think may be related to removing a piece of software without using an uninstalled, but I'm not sure. Upon startup, I get the following errors in a small, square dialogue box, in a continuous loop, in this order, all titled "ERROR":
    1. Unable to open file
    -(I click the "ok" button- it is the only button there)
    2. fnUneostor2 failed
    -(I click ok, the only option)
    3. Unable to open file
    -(ok)
    4. fnUneostor6 open failed
    -(I click ok, and I'm back to square one.)
    Someone who shall remain nameless installed the "KaZa media desktop" and "RocketPipe," Both of which I manually removed before this trouble started. Before this, I also deleted virtually everything out of all of my temp files. Soon afterward my active desktop permanently died, so I disabled it and worked around it. Then this stuff started to happen and the performance went down the hole. I am running windows 98. what the heck is wrong with this stupid thing?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Kazaa is full of spyware... so my advice is if you can still get online, go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

for a free virus scanner you can add to your system... go get AVG. Click here to download AVG

and to protect yourself from hackers etc... Get Zone Alarm
    Click here the free version is fine

then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

this should get you in pretty good shape

Savvy :)

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you have something called Uniloc Title browser in Add/Remove programs? If so, try removing it.

Also go to start>run and enter msconfig

Click on the startup tab and look for something like:

c:\Windows\Uidler.exe/start

Uncheck anything you see for uidler.

You may want to remove the reference from the registry. To do that run regedit

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

With Run (or Run- if you have unchecked it in msconfig) highlighted, look for the entry in the right hand pane and right click on it and delete it.

4. I.B.Laggin

I.B.Laggin Thread Starter

you were both right, I did have unilock title wave installed a while ago, but I removed it. I followed all of your suggestions and deleted every trace of the unilock titlewave browser. I also ran all of the virus scanning programs- AdAware turned up 55 files, most of which were from programs that I thought were dead and gone! I just rebooted my computer, the ERROR is gone, and it works almost like new- now all I have to do is delete a few gigabytes of ugly fat and my computer will be running at top preformance. thank you. I bow down to the geat Tech Guy in the sky, and promise to sacrifice fatted calves weekly. thanks!

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

LOL... well Im glad it worked for you

Savvy :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice