1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Internal Error 2753 - Can not instal Visio 2000 upgrade

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Seb_Romu, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seb_Romu

Seb_Romu Thread Starter

After several hours and much frustration I'm forced to ask for help.

I am attempting to install Visio 2000 (Enterprise Edition - upgrade) on a win'98se box. I have successfully installed Visio 5.0, but the installation process for Visio 2000 gives the following message when I run the installer manually.

internal error: 2753
    vim.exe

If I try using the install option from the autorun "demoshield" splash screen from the CD, I get some whirring from the CD-ROM drive and then the splash screen closes down. With no error message.

The Add/Remove programs under control panel list Visio 2000, but tries to reinstall it when I click on Add/Remove

I've successfully installed this product on 7 machines so far, iuncluding Windows 2000, and windows 98se, but this particular one is giving me hell.

The error number 2753 is not unique to vim.exe. It is a common problem with corruptted installs, as my research shows, however I need a walkthrough fix for visio 2000 in particular.

Microsoft's walkthrough didn't fix the problem.

Any thoughts?

Sebastian

Desktop Support
    Queen's University - Residence Technologies
    Kingston, ON Canada

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG, Seb.

I don't know what walk through fix you tried, I'd have to move you to "All Other Software" if you are looking for something that might be specific to that program.

Have you tried updating the Windows Installer? You should also run a full, updated antivirus scan on the system. The error is most commonly associated with a corrupt installer or left over, mismatched files.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F

This is a Windows Installer Cleanup utility, if you haven't run that, I'd try it first, as I don't think it can be run on the latest installer versions.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q242323

3. Seb_Romu

Seb_Romu Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually tackled it one more time on my own, and it worked.

Solution path:

- Remove MSDE

- Remove Visio 5.0

- Run windows Installer Cleanup

- Run Regedit => Remove all references to "visio"
    This was a very lengthy process >30mins

- Reboot

- Install Visio 5.0

- Test to make sure it is working

- Reboot

- Reboot

- Install Visio 2000 (Enterprise Edition)

- Test to make sure it is working

Worked fine. There was a hang-up during the install where the vim.exe was interupted, but going to add/remove programs and starting over, continued the install from where it left off.

Suspected causes of problem:

ADP - Payroll => an SQL database for payroll management possible conflicts with the SQL portions of Visio 2000; Note: Visio 2002 doesn't use SQL.

Possiblly missed a key or reference in registry on previous clean-up attempt.

Original install attempt was upgrade first, without previous version of Visio installed.

Sebastian

Desktop Support
    Queen's University - Residence Technologies
    Kingston, ON

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good to hear Seb, and thanks for the detailed follow-up. From what I've seen of similar errors in the past, it's those left-over registry entries and mismatched file versions remaining on the system. Takes a lot of patience and resourcefulness to hunt them down.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice