1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Resolved} Internet connection goes off-line

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Chorny7, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chorny7

Chorny7 Thread Starter

I just purchased my first computer in August 2001, so I'm a novice at this stuff. I am operating windows 98' with outlook express 5 e-mail. I have high speed cable internet service.
    Initially, when I start my computer and attempt to connect to the internet and e-mail service, I am successful. But, if I leave the computer running, but unattended for a time (30 min.) ,and then return, the internet and e-mail are off-line. I have to re-start the computer to connect to the internet and e-mail again. What is the problem and how can I correct it?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chorny7
    Welcome to TSG!
    Two things may be causing this problem to happen.
    Remotely possible is your win modem is interfering.
    Go to start\settings\control panel\internet options\connections and make sure never dial connection is checked.

What is a good possibility is the system power options may be affecting the connection to the modem. Go to start\settings\control panel\power options and set these to the following. Power schemes to "always on" and the next three, monitor, disk drives, and standby to "never". Click apply, click ok and restart system.

If problem is still occurring after above actions I suggest calling your cable provider Tech support and discuss the problem and what you have done so far. You may have to download a patch or may have a defective modem.

Hope that helps.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Try tools>internet options>connections>settings>advanced>change the time in "disconnect if idle for" box.

Welcome to TSG. :)

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If setting the harddisk settings under Power Management to "Never" like Davy suggest doesn't fix it then it's most like the APM/ACPI settings in the BIOS causing it. Let us know what happens and if necessary we can lead you through turning off the BIOS settings.

BTW, Doyce, I think you missed their comment about a "high speed" connection. The setting you described is for Dialup. You'll notice it's for the DUN connections listed in the window to it's left titled "Dial Up Settings". It's only a valid setting and only available for DialUp. The direct connect settings are under the "LanSettings" tab if you want to take a look.

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

You're right. :)

6. Chorny7

Chorny7 Thread Starter

I went to 'power options' and ensured that power schemes was 'always on' and monitor, disk drives, and standby were set to 'never'. The problem was solved. Thanks very much for your help!

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chorny7
    Were glad you got it fixed. Come back and visit anytime.
    Have fun with your new machine.
    Dave

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice