1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Invalid page faults and errors galore

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Drex, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drex

Drex Thread Starter

I've seen Java launch but don't know what it is or why it's needed...how do you disable?

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Go to Tools\internet options\security\custom level and scroll down to "java permissions" it should be on "high safety" change it to "disable java" - that will stop your pop-ups - but if you find a site you really need will not load , you will have to go back to it and change it back.

3. bandit429

bandit429

Could you name one or two of the sites where you are getting the popups?

4. Drex

Drex Thread Starter

eBay is one of them, but I'm more concerned with the errors. Any luck with the reports I ran and errors I posted?

5. bandit429

bandit429

To be honest I somehow lost your thread,,, I did"nt know you were replying till just now. Usually I get an email.. give me about 20 or 30 minutes to see what I can find.

6. Drex

Drex Thread Starter

Now the PC can't even complete searches. This machine has issues. It crashes and shows that error report 75% of the time....I had to uninstall the Pop-up program; it was prob. using up too much memory.

7. bandit429

bandit429

Drex,,,,How long has this been going on??

8. bandit429

bandit429

This is found information for this error ("Show Desktop.scf on (Unknown) is needed.")

12. Create your own Show Desktop in Windows
    If you have deleted the "Show Desktop" icon from your Quicklaunch bar then by creating a TEXT-file with this centents will recreate it, open notepad and enter.

[Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the file as "Show Desktop.scf" and then Move/Copy the file into your quick launch bar.

9. bandit429

bandit429

Then I want you to go to start,,run and type in scanreg then hit run,,What happens?? Do NOT backup if asked.

10. Drex

Drex Thread Starter

The incomplete searches just kinda started w/ in the last couple days. The blue screen errors a couple of weeks. The email and Media Player errors, about a month or so.....
    Did te desktop thing, we'll see what happens there.

11. Drex

Drex Thread Starter

"No errors found"

12. bandit429

bandit429

Ok,,I know you have macafee installed,,and I know it was giving you an error,,,save me the time Of reading this all through again, did Steam ask you to get a virus scan yet?? I think you should get one if you can stay online long enough.

13. Drex

Drex Thread Starter

No, don't believe so, did so much already, both my brain and this PC are fried. Is this my one & only hope?

14. bandit429

bandit429

We'll get it,,I want you to disable macafee and go to the site I put a link at the bottom of this post and get scanned,,,I want to be absolutley sure that computer is clean before we go further. It does take a while to load,,if you get an error or booted off come back and let me know,, I'll be around somewhere for the next 5 Hours.
    Click here

15. bandit429

bandit429

Go to start,,run and type in msconfig,,hit the startup tab and uncheck these.
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\FINDFAST.EXE

You also need to delete the file, MSView.dll do a file search so you know where it is. Its part of the spyware that spybot was unable to remove. I noticed it is still in your startup.

Before the file can be deleted, it must be deregistered. Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands,

cd "%WinDir%\System" regsvr32 /u ..\MSView.dll

After doing this and restarting the computer you can delete the file. In the MSView variant you can also delete MSView.ini

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice