1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Is this a good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigTex, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Sony CRX300E/B2 DVD 16x + CD-RW 48x24x48 Combo Drive w/Software

Bare Drive w/Software
    Speeds: 48x CD-ROM, 24x Re-Write 48x Record and 16x DVD-ROM
    Interface: ATAPI EIDE
    Buffer:2MB
    Access time: 120ms/140ms CD/DVD
    Buffer Underrun Protection Power-Burn
    Warranty Length: One year warranty.
    Coverage: Covers repair or replacement of the product.

For: $59.99

What do you guys think?

2. n2gun

n2gun

Not a bad deal. Newegg.com has it for $57 with free fedex shipping. That is the cheapest I found that drive.

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

Important note: The included B's Gold burner software is the worst piece of junk in the world.... so have another burner program handy (NERO5-6 or CD-Creator5-6)...

Samsung has a simular drive, includes Creator or NERO.

4. Annorax

Annorax

That's a pretty decent deal.

5. dzones

dzones

Its a good deal if you need a dvd and a burner AND you already have a cd drive. You can get a 48-52X cdrw for less than 40 bucks.

6. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

This is what I just bought:
    TDK 4x Multiformat Indi DVD DVD±RW Drive: 4.7GB, 4x Write 2.4x Re-Write 12x Read DVD+RW, 4x Write 2x Re-Write 12x Read DVD-RW, 16x Write 10x Re-Write 40x Read CD internal EIDE ATAPI DVD±RW and CD-RW drive.

It's black to match my case so I need a black DVD/CD drive to match.

7. johnkenny99

johnkenny99

I just bought one of those. Swapped it in where my old CD ROM had been. WinXP installed it and recognised it correctly as CRX300E. Dam thing won't read any media I put in it.

I have tried everything. No drivers on the Sony site. They do not even acknowledge it as a product (as it is usually shipped OEM), closest they have is CRX300A.

If anyone has any idea how I can get this to work I would love to hear it.

8. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hey johnkenny99, my CRX300E will be here today, but it's not an OEM. Once I install it I'll let you know.

9. rallyben

rallyben

I have that drive but I'm running win98se and it works perfectly. it might be the media player you're using and whether or not you tell it to detect the types of media you want. it's good to make sure you have a player for every media type.

10. johnkenny99

johnkenny99

Well I am still well and truely stuck. It powers up and is detected correctly by XP every time. But that is as far as it goes.

Funny thing is that every time I try to read the drive contents, either by clicking on the drive icon, or listing in the dos console, it just shows as empty (regardless of whether there is a disk there or not).

Normal behaviour for CD and DVD drives is to come back as "Drive not ready" when there is no media present. So something weird is going on. Changing drivers made no difference. I am strongly suspecting I have been shipped a duff drive and am trying to return to seller.

Anyone any other suggestions for another way I could test it? Would love to hear it.

thx

11. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hey JohnKenny99, I've tried sending you an e-mail, but it comes back to me for some reason as not a correct e-mail. Anyway, I will be putting that drive in my system within the next 4 hours and I'll leave you a message, on this board.

12. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

JohnKeeny99, sorry it took so long to respond but, when I plug in my CRX300E it works fine. Maybe you just have a bad one?

13. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Problem solved, I had to disable PC-cillin and then reinstall the driver.

14. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Sorry Guys I put this own the wrong thread????? It's still solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!