1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] javascript:void(0)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Chas521, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chas521

Chas521 Thread Starter

No one can figure this out. I've tried a few suggestions but to no avail. Whenever I go into a certain site [haven't tried others yet] that either has voice presentations or in this case instant messenger on the site, I get the subject's error message down by the taskbar. I've upgraded jscript to the current build, tried refreshing the page that I was on, checked to make sure that javascript was enabled [it is]. I use Windows 98se and IE5.5. I also tried upgrading IE to 6 but that didn't work either. In fact, after upgrading to 6, I couldn't enter a lot of sites so I uninstalled it and returned to 5.5 and now all I get is the subject error message. But I have noticed that I will get error with a yellow icon on the taskbar when I try to enter some pages and when I refresh, all is then OK. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Are you running a pop-up stopper

If you are doing something which should produce a pop-up but can't then you will get the "javascript:void(0)" message

3. Chas521

Chas521 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying steamwiz. The only popup stopper [blocker] that I use is with the Google 2.0 toolbar. According to Google if you hold down the Control key then popups will be allowed when you want them. I uninstalled Google did a warm restart through shutdown but the problem still remained. Do you think that I should have tried a complete shutdown and then a cold boot? There MUST be something else; I can't be the only one with this problem.

4. BillC

BillC

By chance do you have a firewall running and deep in it's bowels there is a pop-up blocker? Forgive me for asking, but I sometimes forget just what I've got stopped.

Also, in another situation, I've noticed if you close all browsers and then reopen a browser, navigate to the page you want to see, the javascript will then work. Go figure.

Gremlins. :)

5. Chas521

Chas521 Thread Starter

Bill C,
    Yes, I do have a firewall plus PC-CILLIN and I tried what you suggested. I shut both of them down from starting using MSCONFIG and completely removed Google including all mention of Google using REGEDIT. Guess what? I still get javascript:void(0) - YEOW!!!! Also, since I use a cable modem aren't I always online whether my browser is open or not? BTW, I turned on my firewall again as well as reinstalled Google toolbar 2.0. I just don't know anymore.(n)

6. BillC

BillC

Hey Chas521,

Sorry, but I know not about the workings of Windows 98e. But, let me pretend that the settings in your IE 5.5 are like mine. If you go to Tools > Internet Options >Security >Custom Level, there is one Microsoft VM that deals with Javascript. Make sure that is not blocked.

You said you checked your Java settings, I assume that means Tools > Internet options > Advanced where you have made sure Java is enabled and MultiMedia ? This is some type of configuration issue and with enough digging, I think you will find it hidden in your IE or Firewall settings. BTW...Good idea to turn your firewall back on.

Alas, I mave not a clue on what "But I have noticed that I will get error with a yellow icon on the taskbar when I try to enter some pages and when I refresh, all is then OK is all about.

Do you have any other security program, even one you think has no influence on java?

BillC

7. Chas521

Chas521 Thread Starter

Bill C,
    Here's what I have checked:

Tools, Internet options, Security, Internet, Custom:
    Microsoft VM
    Java Permissions
    High Safety

Tools, Internet Options, Advanced:
    Microsoft VM
    JIT Compiler for Virtual Machine Enabled

Multimedia
    Play animations
    Play sounds
    Play videos
    Show pictures
    Smart image dithering

Bill, forget what I said about the yellow error icon and message. It doesn't happen that often to worry about it. Just thought that there might be some connection.

Could a registry cleaner that is only an icon on the taskbar be the cause? I'm not running it but it probably is running somewhat in the background.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Would you give a link to the site?

You say you disabled PC-Cillin, did you also disable the tmproxy/webtrap component?

Also you can not right click and open in a new window one of those javascript pop ups, if that is what you are trying.

It might help also to see a HijackThis Scanlog of what you currently have running.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

This is a javascript problem, not a Java applet/Virtual Machine one, they are different.

You can verify the functionality of both by going to this site:

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

9. Chas521

Chas521 Thread Starter

I was told to try Netscape 7.1 which I downloaded and installed - works fine [no problem]. I'll experiment with IE 5.5 and make some changes in tools to see if I can stumble on something. Didn't want to change browsers but you gotta do what you gotta do.

It seems kinda silly and not right to have to disable my antivirus program everytime just to see a page. No, I am not right clicking to open in a new page just placing the mouse cursor over the link. Also checked out to see if Java was working using the link you supplied - it was OK.

Regardless, thanks a bunch and I'll post again if I can straighten it out.

10. expex1

expex1

With some of the stuff I've got running,when I
    try to click through to another page,I have to
    hit ctrl+enter,(maybe not enter,maybe so), at the
    same time as I click the new window.
    I don't know much,so this may not help. Hope it does.

11. Chas521

Chas521 Thread Starter

OK, got rid of the error. Downloaded and ran IEradicator and removed all of ie except what was needed by some programs and reinstalled IE 6. Now everything is back to normal with no problems. Found it at www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html :D

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Seems a little drastic, but glad to hear it is resolved. Unfortunately if you are running PC-Cillin with tmproxy checked in msconfig, it may return; there is a confirmed bug which they promise to address in a future version.

13. Chas521

Chas521 Thread Starter

I know that it was a little drastic but after trying what I thought was everything and getting nowhere, it was either dumping the computer or trying something "drastic." A word of caution though, if you use dialup internet access then I wouldn't use IEradicator since you need to be online to download and install a new browser. If you have cable [Ido] or DSL [I guess] then there should be no problem since you are online all the time. MAKE SURE THAT YOU READ ALL DOCUMENTATION FIRST BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!