1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Just got EQ...having problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by TwichMan, Oct 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TwichMan

TwichMan Thread Starter

Hey i just bought everquest and installed it, and when i went to go start it up and play it said no 3d devices found. Can anyone help me out as to what i can do to fix this? thx

2. brianF

brianF

Here is the solution: EverQuest: No 3D device found.
    You will receive this error message if you are running any version of DirectX lower then 8.1. In order to fix this you will need to visit Microsoft's DirectX download page and download DirectX 8.1.

If you are still receiving the "No 3D device found" error after installing DirectX 8.1 then you will want to run the DirectX diagnostic tool. Clicking on Run from your Start menu and typing "dxdiag" does this. After the DirectX Diagnostic Tool loads, click on the Display tab. Voodoo2 card users will select the Display2 tab. Under the section labeled DirectX Features, you should see two entries. The first is DirectDraw and the second is Direct3D. Make sure both are listed as "Acceleration Enabled". If they are not, click the Enable button to the right of the respective entry. If there is no Direct3D available, or the Enable button is grayed out, your video card is not capable of using Direct3D and you will not be able to play the game with this hardware.

Also, right click on the My Computer icon, left click on Properties, then select the Performance tab. Left click on the Graphics button, and make sure the slider bar is set to full (all the way to the right).

http://eqlive.station.sony.com/support/tech_support.jsp

3. TwichMan

TwichMan Thread Starter

Both the directdraw and direct 3d are enabled. The slide bar under the graphics tab is all the way to the right. I am still getting the same error message when i try to start up eq.

The card that i have is Daimond Speedstar A50.

Any other suggestions that could make eq work?

4. brianF

brianF

5. TwichMan

TwichMan Thread Starter

When i was running the Direct3d test, it said failure at step 5 (getDeviceCaps): HRESULT - 0x8876086a (3d not available)

i have no clue what a lot of that means, but i will try to download a better driver from that link.

6. brianF

brianF

You may be out of luck with that card, as I beleive it is only an 8 meg card, the system requirements call for a 16 meg card

Required Specs:

Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP
    Pentium® II 400Mhz or greater
    256 MB RAM
    16 MB Direct3D compliant video card
    DirectX 8.0 compatible sound card
    28.8k (or faster) Internet connection
    4X speed CD-ROM
    450 MB+ hard drive space

7. TwichMan

TwichMan Thread Starter

ya i know my comp sucks lol
    400 mhz
    64 ram
    32x speed cd-rom

but anyways i got it to work! i think that driver from the link you gave me was what i needed. it looks like crap and lags like hell, but at least i can play now lol. thx for the help.

8. rstanley

rstanley

Everquest is not that hard of a game. The requirements dont really matter too much. I had played the game on a p2 300mhz cpu, 310 mb of ram and an at radeon 64mb 3d accel. The game always ran fine for me. The only problem i ever had was in gfay market. There is just always to many peeps their, which cause some lag.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice