1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Resolved} Kernel32.dll - Nero

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by robaldo, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

i posted the other day about this problem with nero. wen i click it to open it goes to the blue error screen and then shows one of them illgal opertion windows.

it says "NERO caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff88396

ive asked mates about this and they say its a windows file but without wiping all my computer how can i fix this problem with out doing that.

I did a scan disk and it found nothing & also a scan with AVG and that found nothing aswell.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME TO SORT OUT THIS PROBLEM!

cheers rob

2. randyrayd

randyrayd

I haven't read your previous post, but this link my help. I'm leaving now or I would search the site for you.

http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errkrn32.htm

If I remember right, (big if), two programs are trying to access the same memory with this message.

Hope this helps,

Randall

3. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

cheers for the link to that site but i cant find anything for nero on there

4. randyrayd

randyrayd

Okay, back now and did a little research...It is a memory input/output error (like I thought) and interupts when there is a conflict. Kernel32dll is loaded into a protect memory area so other applications do not try to access the same area. When they do, you get the invalid page fault error. It sounds like nero is trying to go where no man...never mind...it's trying to access the same memory space. I think you need to replace nero, but thzt doesn't help you.

It can also be caused by faulty drivers. I guess the first step would be to check if there is a better driver for your new hardware. This probably isn't much hel[p, but it's a place to start.

I'll try to do some more research to hel-

Randall

5. randyrayd

randyrayd

Sicne I think it's narrowed to a hardward driver (invalid page fault), first check with the nero site to make sure you have the best dirver, but then try this....

In Windows Explorer select your \Windows folder then Press F3. This will bring up the Find: All Files window. In the Named: box type *.pwl then cllick Find Now and when a list of found files is displayed, delete them all and close the Find window and restart Windows

If you have in passwords (probably not for hardward), make sure that you have the passwords written down so you can re-enter them when needed./

Have you tried using device manger to check for any resource conflicts?

I'll keep checkin'.

Since most on this board have a tag, I have to add this (but not permantly): Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most....

Randall

6. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

i found 2 .pwf files one in the C:\Windows and the other Default.pwf in the C:\Windows\options\CABS

are u sure i should delete them and restart, i just want 2 make sure that there isnt anymore pwf files that need 2 be deleted

cheers
    rob

7. randyrayd

randyrayd

I work up this morning worrying that I hadn't told you to back up the files before deleting. I always used back up almost anything, but now I have GoBack, I don't always think about it.

I have never done this. I'm just going by what I found when researching this problem for you. That's why I woke up worrying.

pwf files can be anything, directories, registry keys, ini file settings, shortcuts, and sections of text files such as autoexec.bat. But in this instance (because or what I found), I think these are automatically generated when you run nero.

I found something today that said these files can become corrupted and the program in question won't run. Which I think is what's happening to you. If so, when you run nero again these files will regenerate.

Have you done a system check for conflicts and to see that your memory is okay? This error can also mean bad memory, or did I say that already?

Hope this helps.

I'm going on a work road trip tomorrow for several days, so could you email me and let me know what happens? This post might be too far down when I get back.

Randall

8. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

cheers for the help. im going to try and delete them files now and restart. if it doesnt work i think im going to wipe all my pc and intall windows 98 again. i cant actually remember how to do it so if you can help me please and tell me how to do it that would be great.

ill delete them files now and if the problem is still there ill let you no and i will restart my pc from scratch

cheers

rob

9. randyrayd

randyrayd

WHOA, ROB! Formatting a hard drive was a big task for me. Maybe it's easier for the real techs. I really don't want to attempt it again. I actually think I stumbled into doing it correctly after two days of trying and right before throwing the old laptop in the trash. Your gonna need a lot of info and a boot disk and back ups for drivers and CAB files, (they're supposed to be on your Start up disk but weren't on mine and I didn't back up anything) and......You get the point.

Randall

10. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

my computer has been a pain in the *** since i bought it so i dont care if i lose everything ive got most programs i use on disk i just wanna start from scratch again

11. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

i deleted the 2 .pwf files and restarted my pc and there seems to be no problem by deleting those files but nero still wont work.

i havent used the disk defragmenter and stuff like that what people have told me to try because i dont no what they are so ill keep on trying to fix my problem without reformatting my pc.

12. randyrayd

randyrayd

You really need to defrag on a regular basis. It's very easy, just be sure no programs are running and if you have a screen saver it is disabled. Open windows explorer>help>type in Defragmenter and it will do it for you. If you have Norton Utilities you need to do it a different way.

I'm at a loss. It may be a memory module gone bad..... or were any new programs installed about the time this started?

Randall

13. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

i did a defragmenter of the c:, and i said something about an error and go into safe mode. i went into safemode but didnt no what to do because i dont have a clue!

14. randyrayd

randyrayd

If you got into safe mode, follow the same instructions to defrag. You also probably need to run Scandisk, which is a little further donw the list where you found defrag.

If you can't get to safe mode, reboot and tap or hold F8 (some OS's may be F5. You find a list with safemode on it. Select it and run defrag and then reboot and you will be in normal mode. Run scandisk.

I'm going on a four day business trip, but others will be able to help you, probably better than I.

Randall

15. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

if i install windows me would it install all new files and correct the problem?

im currently on Windows 98 2nd Edition and i thought about upgrading to me might correct the problem but is it possible to uninstall ME if i need to?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice