1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Logo screen

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by John Sparkman, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Sparkman

John Sparkman Thread Starter

Hi all.

My daughter bought a Dell computer through one of those Rent-To-Own places and she wants to get rid of their startup screen. The screen I'm refering to is the "Loading Windows" screen.
    We did a file search for Logo.sys with no results. All I know about the machine is that it is a new (big question mark?????) dell system running Win 98. I'll have to call her back on this last point because I find it odd that a new machine would be running Win 98.

I know that windows 98 does not require a logo.sys file to display the default Windows startup screen so I am at a lose as to where else to look.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

To get rid of the startup Windows logo you need to edit the msdos.sys file in the root directory.

This is by default a hidden, readonly file so you may need to have "show all files" checked in Folder Options> View to see it.

When you locate it, right click on it, select Properties and make sure the readonly attribute is unchecked. You can leave it that way if you want.

Then open it in Notepad. Under the [Options] header add this line:

logo=0

close and save the file when prompted.

3. John Sparkman

Thanks Rollin' Rog

We'll give it a try.

BTW: If it turns out that she is running win ME, will the fix be the same?

Thanks
    John

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. John Sparkman

Thanks for the help. My daughter was able to find logo.sys and delete it. She had her search setup wrong and once we when back through it again we found the file.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice