1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Lost Program.exe file

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MaryMary, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaryMary

MaryMary Thread Starter

Hi there,

This is my first time using this...so I hope I am doing it properly...
    I recently installed an updated version of Norton Antivirus 2003, as mine was expiring (I downloaded it from their site)...anyways, since then my recycle bin won't work properly....when I click on it, it says there is a missing Program.exe file needed to run it...also, when I click on the Norton Antivirus icon, it says that "System Integrator could not initialize the current frame class"...whatever that means....I have deinstalled and reinstalled NAV 2003 three times now and I get the same problem...can you help me?

My operating system is Windows 98

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG, Mary...

Are you able to run other programs with an 'exe' extension without getting that message? If so, would you download, unzip and run the StartupList.exe program from the site below, then copy/paste the results to a reply.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Also, download the exefix08.com file from Reticulated Toys, and if you cannot run exe's, unzip and double click it to run. If you need an unzipped version, use the ONLY IE link at the very bottom of the Toys page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

Doing a little research, it sounds like you may have a variation of this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q309538

Was Norton Utilities on the system? The Windows version probably won't make a difference.

By the way, if it sounds like that might apply, the key you want to locate in the registry is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Clsid\{645FF040-5081-101b-9F08-0AA002F954E}\Shell\Norton unerase

The MS article has an error at the beginning of the key as printed there.

3. MaryMary

MaryMary Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thanks for replying so quickly....I downloaded those two files that you suggested...but when I clicked on them to open they were unreadable (opended in Word)

MaryMary

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Did the files you downloaded have a .zip extension? And do you have a zip program?

Try this one

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/4IE_Only/EXEfix08.com

Right click on the link above and select "save target as". Save it to your desktop.

If you don't have a zip program, for now try the StartLog.com file here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/4IE_Only/StartLog.com

When that is run it will produce two files, stubpaths.txt and StartUp.log

We need you to copy/paste the entire results of the StartUp.log here, but not the stubpaths.txt file.

Check the MS link I included in the first post as well, and let me know if it sounds like it might apply.

5. MaryMary

MaryMary Thread Starter

Hey there,

I did try the MS link that you sent me...and I followed the instructions on that...and now my recycle bin works fine...thanks a lot for your help on that.....now what is the problem with my Norton installation?...do you know?

MaryMary

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As near as I can make out then, it was just caused by a bad uninstall of Norton recycle bin entries in the registry. Their Utilities program has a feature called Norton Protected Recycle Bin which installs that key. Evidently it got left behind.

So all's well now? Great!

Similar problems can also be caused by incompletely repaired virus damage, but they usually affect all exe's, not specifically the recycle bin.

7. MaryMary

MaryMary Thread Starter

So if I reinstall NAV 2003 again...will it work properly?.....because I really don't know what the "system integrator" means

Mary

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

9. MaryMary

MaryMary Thread Starter

Thanks for the links....I will once again try to unistall and reinstall NAV....I'll let you know how it goes

Mary

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okedoke; some people really have problems with it, but their removal utility seems to work most of the time; when it doesn't, then it's a tedious process of going through their manual removal instructions step by step.

11. MaryMary

MaryMary Thread Starter

Well I am back....and once again uninstalling and reinstalling did not correct the problem....I did notice however when I was uninstalling NAV 2003 that the program NAV 2002 was still in the program list (where you add/remove programs)...so when I clicked on that to uninstall it...it automatically attempted to install it and asked for the CD to do so....it won't let me uninstall it at all...yet it remains on the program list...I am positive that I uninstalled this prior to setting up NAV2003....why is that still there?

Mary

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It does sometimes happen that programs are left in Add/Remove after being uninstalled and the entry has to be removed from the registry; but I don't believe that alone would cause the problem you are having.

How did you uninstall? Did you use the rnav2003 utility?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002061016251406

Have you tried the manual uninstall instructions?

If you think it's just a problem with the Add/Remove entry being left, do this: run regedit and navigate to

Hkey_local_Machine
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Uninstall

> expand the Uninstall key and look for the Nav entry there. You can right click on that and delete it.

Do this only if it remains after an uninstall. I would use the rnav2003 utility first. Then if you are still having problems, follow the manual instructions.

13. MaryMary

MaryMary Thread Starter

Hey there,

Well it took forever...but I manually uninstalled Norton 2002 and reinstalled Norton 2003...it appears to working so far....thanks very much for your quick replies and your help!!!!

Mary

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Outstanding. The manual removal instructions are definitely a challenge for most and usually when folks have persistant issues it is because they have not followed them exactly as given. Glad to hear all is well and you are most welcome for the assist.

15. MaryMary

MaryMary Thread Starter

Hi there,

Yes is was a tedious process but thank you for getting me to do that because there were a lot of old files still there...and I would have thought the regular uninstall would have removed them....another thing that is not really related but annoying is when I click on Internet Explorer to open to my home page....it takes a bit of time (I have high speed internet with sympatico)...and in the message box it says "detecting proxy settings"...eventually it comes to my home page but should it take this long...it didn't always do this

Mary

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice