1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}lost some space on the hards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urs, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urs

urs Thread Starter

hi guys
    i have a harddisk of 10 gb now i decided to upgrade it i bought a new harddisk(40 gb), i made this drive(new) as the salve to the previous one . First it was showing me aroung 38,000+ mb in the fdisk command. The person who was upgrading said that he will partition it in 4 diff drives. The partition did well for the first 2 times but when he tried for the 3rd time he wasnt able to get it. He was getting some error msg(sorry i dont know that error msg).So he deleted all the partiotion,and then he formatted the whole drive. And when we came back to Windows it is showing us just 31.4 gb(32153 mb) now where as the rest of space gone. So i decided it to scan it.ScanDisk normally shows 12,00,000+ cluster all the drives what ever is thier size. But for this drive it is just showing 10,00,000+.
    is there something like hidden clusters.
    now i dont know what the problem is plzz help me

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. brianF

brianF

What operating system are you running, see below for info on win95 problems with drives larger than 32gig

Microsoft Windows 95 (all versions) will not properly partition and format a drive larger than 32 GB without a high probability for data loss. Both Microsoft and Western Digital recommend upgrading your Operating System to Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium if you are using a drive with a capacity larger than 32 GB. For more information on this limitation, read the Microsoft's Knowledgebase Article Q246818.

3. urs

urs Thread Starter

i am using windows 98 SE

4. brianF

brianF

It could be a bad drive, download the drive diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer.

It could also be a bios limitation on your machine, you may need to use installation software from the drive vendor to install an overlay patch to allow your system to see the full size of the drive, once again you should check with the drive manufacturer

5. urs

urs Thread Starter

if it is a bad drive
    then it should have showed me on the very first time i entered it
    can u plzz provide me with some information abt that installation software
    thanx 4 ur help

6. brianF

brianF

I am not all that familiar with it, havent used if for years, what brand of hard drive are you trying to set up.

7. urs

urs Thread Starter

samsung

8. brianF

brianF

9. urs

urs Thread Starter

thanx for ur support
    i am downloading it and c if it can help me
    i will inform u
    thanx a lot

10. urs

urs Thread Starter

hey thanx brainf
    i downloaded it and it said that my bios thats troubling me
    he made some changes and now it is working fine
    thanx a lot

11. brianF

brianF

Glad it's working, your welcome

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice