1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] lost volume icon in system tray

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sabledog, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabledog

sabledog Guest Thread Starter

i keep loosing the speaker icon in the system tray... i go to the control panel the setting for putting in the tray is there.. i delete it and apply... the add it back and apply... that gets it back until i restart my pc... and its gone again...
    thanks for any help
    sd

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. sabledog

sorry... i meant to do that...im running xp home... will give the advice a try and will let you know..
    thanks
    sd

4. sabledog

i did as the advice said... i extracted a new copy of the sndvol32.exe file sucessfully .... volume icon was there... shut down pc and restarted... icon is gone..
    ??????????:confused:

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm afraid I'm at a loss to explain it unless it is some kind of issue with "User Profiles" (any others besides yours?).

Do either of the two "workarounds" mentioned in that link work?

By the way there is more than one kind of "volume icon" I discovered this when first launching "Music Match" one day. Somehow it deleted the volume icon associated with my Sound card (Turtle Beach) and replaced it with the Windows sound volume which doesn't have the same bells and whistles. The TB icon faces right and is blue. I forget exactly what the Windows one looks like, but it was different, which is why I immediately noticed it.

You may need to reinstall your Sound Card software, or at least identify the tray application associated with it.

For example, mine is:

TraySantaCruz = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\tbctray.exe

This was actually deleted from the registry by Music Match and I had to manually create a new shortcut for it and place it in startups.

6. sabledog

the work arounds do work... but i have to do each time i turn the pc on... no other users.... ive deleted my sound card drivers and reinstalled... no luck... thanks for you help.. if you find anything else please let me know... thanks again
    sd

7. sabledog

got it fixed... went to sound blaster web site and upgraded my drivers... got my icon back.. so it was my sound card icon....thanks again for your help..
    :) sd

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

:cool:

Glad we found the answer. Nice to know there was one.

9. sabledog

well it worked once... now the same thing... i would really hate to have to reformate just to get that icon back... im not to that point yet... will keep chugging along...
    thanks
    sd

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice