{RESOLVED} Maxtor external drive install problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mark910

After connecting the 1394 Maxtor external drive. The Compaq Presario 5630 with a TI 1394 board does not recognize the drive. I have downloaded all W98 SE critical updates. The Maxtor help desk could offer no help. I am waiting for a Maxtor expert to call. The 1394 board does work. I have connected another 1394 device through the maxtor to test it. Any thoughts

Mark910

The computer is supposed to recognize the drive and request the W98SE CD-ROM, which it does not. There is supposed to be an icon in the icon tray to detach a 1394 device. I have used FDISK to see if it recognizes the drive - it does not. The drive is setup with a single partition, so it can be plug and play. There is no setup disk provided with the hard disk and the documentation clearly states that no additional files are required.

The new disk just is not recognized by the computer.

Not quite true, according to Maxtor.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Included in the
External Storage Kit:
1394 External Storage device
Six-foot 1394 cable
External AC power adapter
Installation software CD<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This came from here:
http://www.maxtor.com/Maxtorhome.htm

That gives me the impression that some type of driver is needed to make it work. Elsewhere on that page it does say "plug in and go" but maybe there is something wrong with the drive? The Firewire connection may be fine, but that doesn't mean the drive itself is. Perhaps the drivers on that CD allow you to test it.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

Mark910

Thanks for looking into the situation. The install software is for MAC OS. The Software is specifically referenced in the install instructions for MAC. The instructions for W98SE make no reference to the disk. The Maxtor help desk makes no reference to using the disk. I did check and the disk is not readable by W98.

Oh.

Well, I guess that about does it for me

Let us know what happens when you find out. My bet is a bad drive.

You don't know anyone else with a firewire card do you? So you could test it on a different computer?

------------------
LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

Mark910

Larry, it was the Compaq supplied TI 1394 board. I installed the maxtor 1394 board and the drive worked perfectly - actual plug and play. The TI board may support only imaging based upon comments on other forums.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for letting us know the answer.

Too many times people just disappear and we never find out what happened...

------------------
LarryCore begs for money

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online