1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Mcafee that won't die

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lawsonmorton, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lawsonmorton

lawsonmorton Thread Starter

I had to flash my bios, and reset it, so it was my fault I booted to windows with the wrong system date. So now I have corrected that error, Mcafee 7 is going to tell me, that it is expired, and I need to purchase the upgrade. The version I had was valid to Oct 2004. So I have tried to uninstall it through add remove programs, it didn't work, when I reinstalled it, it came up with the same message about purchase. So I corresponded with a mcafee tech, and he had me try the following :

Run MSIEXEC to Attempt a Forced Uninstall

Click on the Start button.
    Highlight Programs then click on RUN.
    Type in COMMAND
    Type the following commands into the keyboard:
    CD\
    CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
    MsiExec.exe /X{E4DC62CE-5F95-11D6-B254-00C04FF4B435}
    exit
    If McAfee VirusScan is successfully uninstalled you do not need to complete the remaining steps in this document. If you receive error messages or find that McAfee VirusScan was not completely removed then follow the steps below to manually remove the program.

This did not work either, for when I reinstalled it ask me about purchase too. I have no money. His last idea is to have me edit the registry, and that is my least favourite thing to do. My computer is working great now and I don't want to accidentally do anything that would alter that situation. So I am asking if you guys might have any ideas or have a link to a free program (like how I don't have any money) that could clean mcafee off my system, and allow me to reinstall it like new, so I could have the benifit of a year of service.

2. BillC

BillC

I'd go to the McAfee site and follow their instructions based on your OS. Click here and in the catergory select install/uninstall.

3. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

I've never used McAfee, but when I format/reinstall, I sometimes have to email various companies to get a new registration number in order to reinstall their program (otherwise it runs as 30 day trial). All of the companies have responded immediately with the codes I need. Why wouldn't McAfee do the same?

4. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

I would have to go along with BillC's recomendation. McAfee is not easy to remove from the system, but if you follow the Manual Removal instructions found at the link that Bill provided you will be able to remove in completely. It does require some registry work, so make sure to backup the registry.
    I've had to do this very same thing on several machines and I have never had a problem.
    BTW: Here's a link to a good AV program call AVG, and it's free.

5. lawsonmorton

lawsonmorton Thread Starter

It was a long process I think, but I did do the registry thing. It worked. Thanks much guys.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!