1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Micro$oft XP sucks. } install problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cybermaul, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cybermaul

Cybermaul Thread Starter

I have a doozy of a problem, my computer started to lose track of it's USB ports, bad. Now, when I try to re-install XP, it gets to the network settings and hangs. As in the 'uncrashable' XP stops in it's own installation. Any suggestions?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Check ps, ram, and hd. You can download and run a ram tester. You can download and run the hd mgf's utility for checking the disk. XP is a very good os; it is however much more demanding of hardware than win9x.

3. Cybermaul

Cybermaul Thread Starter

Ya know, I would have done that by now except for the fact that I can't get into a situation where I can. XP just goes into setup/installation mode.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Both the ram tester and the hd tester are run from a boot disk. There is no need for an os to be installed. Just use the computer you are using now to download and make the floppies.

5. Cybermaul

Cybermaul Thread Starter

Okay, I got it all fixed...I think...

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What did you do to fix it?

7. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

A "help" forum's biggest problem. The person with the problem so often doesn't post back with "what worked". HATE THAT.

8. Cybermaul

Cybermaul Thread Starter

Alrighty...I disconnected my network card. That was it. MSN8 was blocking the XP install from seeing the internet, halting the installation. God, I hate MSN and XP.

9. prospect

prospect

I've had some world class problems installing XP also. Its definitelya challenge.

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Personally I've been running XP since it's inception and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. I've also installed it on many PCs with the same results but like any OS whether it's Windows, Linux, etc... you will occasionally run into problems based on hardware and/or driver issues since the people writing the Operating Systems can't possibly account for every possible scenario. I've been writing software for a living for 20+ years now so I can personally relate to the enormous task that the writers are up against. I think they do an incredibly good job when you look at the problem they face. Can you image the infinite number of hardware and software combinations that exist on every PC on this planet? It's mind boggling and to expect anyone to write OS software to account for all of them at first asking is an extremely unreasonable expectation. So when problems are found they issue patches. That's perfectly understandable.

11. prospect

prospect

Bryan I totally agree. I've been fooling around with this thing called "Simple for kids". Its supposted to teach ya how to write programs. It gives ya all the tools, and its still a b$#@h. LOL!:D

Prospect ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice