Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[Resolved] Missing recycle bin

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  JoAnnD 
#1 ·
My sister recently had her computer upgraded from W95 to W98, but a recycle bin icon does not appear on her desktop, nor can we find one when use Find/Search.

Can you tell me how we can get a recycle bin on her desktop?

Thanks, Jo Ann

#3 ·
Thanks, Dave--------

I looked at the page, but not sure what to do with it. It says to "download", but couldn't find where to download from. I printed the page, just in case I can figure it out. Am I supposed to go to regedit and type in all of this?

I also looked at a post by azcawho. It looks much simpler, but still kind of scary for a novice. If I go to regedit and mess something up, is it going to be a serious problem or is there a way to correct a mistake?

I need to do this on my sisters computer, not the one I am on now, so I need to be sure what I am doing-----------:)

Thanks, Jo Ann

#6 ·
I downloaded the attachment "Recycled.txt", but it only put a notepad icon on the desktop that won't do anything, but could have installed the recycle bin key and I didn't know it.

So then, I went into the regedit and followed Deke's instructions to make a new key, but when I got there the key was there already.

If the recycle bin key is in the registry, why can't I get the icon on the desktop? Would appreciate any advice-----------:)

Thanks, Jo Ann

#8 ·
Hi JoAnn, please continue to respond to this thread rather than start new ones. This allows all to know what has been done previously.

After you downloaded the txt file provided by Tony, did you right click on it and rename it Recycled.reg

It must have a .reg extension and the icon must change to a registry file icon before it can be merged to the registry.

If you have trouble renaming the file to a .reg extension, open it in Notepad, give the file the name Recycled.reg and select "all files" from the drop menu by "Save As Type". This last part is crucial to get it to save as a .reg file.

#11 ·
I opened the Recycled.txt notepad icon and renamed it to Recycled.reg and saved it under "all files" as instructed, but still can't see where anything has changed. It is still a notepad icon, so I went back into the registry and right clicked on the recycle bin key to see if I could find the "Modify" option that Deke talked about, but nothing with "Modify" showed up, so I am still at a loss as to how to get the recycle bin icon to show up on the desktop.

Thanks, Jo Ann

#13 ·
Thanks, Tony-------

I thought we tried that, but since I'm having to work with my sister over the phone, maybe she didn't do it right. Will call her later this morning and try again. Sorry to take up so much of your time.

Thanks--------Jo Ann

#15 ·
Thanks, Tony--------

I finally got into town and went back over all the instructions and got the recycle bin on the desktop for her. She just wasn't double clicking right, so we reset the mouse to better suit her.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Jo Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.