1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Missing System INI file warning screen on bootup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Filewasp, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Filewasp

Filewasp Thread Starter

I get this warning on boot up:

Cannot find a device that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.

The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted the file on purpose, try reinstalling the associated application using it's uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
    vsdata95.vxd
    I had run adaware and spybot and removed mass "badies" and deleted something from a HighJack This log. perhaps this was where I went wrong. Will look into the HiJackThis backup and see if this file is there, but I believe the problem is due to a Malware / Spyware invasion.
    Here are the specs and then a neww HiJack log:

Windows 98 SE
    750 megahertz AMD Duron

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 9:02:24 PM, on 4/27/04
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\EVNTSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
    C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb02.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: LimeShop Preferences - file://C:\Program Files\LimeShop\System\Temp\limeshop_script0.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Free Surfer (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Free Surfer (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?38099.8316782407
    O16 - DPF: {89D75D39-5531-47BA-9E4F-B346BA9C362C} (CWDL_DownLoadControl Class) - http://www.callwave.com/include/cab/CWDL_DownLoad.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/7d90ae05585062/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Often, in the System Configuration Utility you can easily prevent Windows from trying to detect the associated progam reference line at startup so the error message won't appear.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quotation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. The site provides a printer friendly link.

In the System Configuration Utility (SCU), you can uncheck programs you suspect one at a time and restart your computer. If something doesn't work right, you can always go back into the SCU and re-check it and restart your computer via the Start button. The changes are completely reversible by re-checking an item in SCU or by selecting Normal Startup under the General tab in the SCU and all the programs listed run when Windows starts as it was before you started.

3. Filewasp

Filewasp Thread Starter

Great info Styxx, but that's not the point. INI files are not mentioned in the msconfig start up that I know of. I am concerned about these entries as they were mentioned in the Spybot scan but re-appeared:
    C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: LimeShop Preferences - file://C:\Program Files\LimeShop\System\Temp\limeshop_script0.htm
    9 - Extra button: Free Surfer (HKLM)
    There is no mention again in msconfig start up of things you mentioned. There is however the system.ini tab and all items are checked. What am I missing? I see no need in reformatting at this point but I see many things mentioned in start up that are unchecked but don't even want to see them mentioned. IE:
    COMMONSEARCH/VCATCH
    BEARSHARE
    FREESURFER
    LIMESHOP
    WHENUSAVE
    LASTCALL adverts

4. Filewasp

Filewasp Thread Starter

Maybe this is even more complicated. Yesterday since he has a D: CDROM and an E: H. Packard CD writer (8100 series) and the CDRW had an exclamation point next to it in the device manager, I tried to load the driver again for it. It said Microsoft was not aa trusted site!! Could not get the other drive to be recognized but on re-boot all the sudden the drive worked. I am trying to burn his mp3's and re format or just fix the system. There is an exclamation next to Secondary IDE and also mentioned is a third harddisk controller called SIS 5513 Dual PCI. I am starting to get dizzy trying to figure out if thee boot up warning (about the SYSTEN>INI file) and the problem with the drive are related. :mad:

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

vsdata95.vxd is a ZoneAlarm file; there is a reference to it in the registry that is not being properly handled.

Did you recently remove it? If so it was not properly uninstalled. Perhaps you failed to disable the program before uninstalling.

What you can do is run regedit select Edit > Find and enter vsdata95.vxd

Hit find next and then right click on any hit and select delete. Hit f3 to continue the search until finished.

If you want to manually navigate the registry you will probably find the reference under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

Expand the file tree under the "vxd" key and look for it there.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

the ptsnoop entry is your modem and normal, so that entry is a non-issue for you.

Zone Alarm causes errors like this all the time, I remember now that Rog mentions it.

See the colored link at bottom of my post to free Sygate Personal Firewall. It won't mess with you that way.

Here, clean up your Device Manager in Safe Mode like this:

Boot into Safe Mode - (tap F8 twice per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted);

Right click My Computer; Point to Properties; Click the Device Manager tab; Click the plus sign beside CDROM; Highlight each device inside CDROM, each in turn, and click the Add/Remove button until no main CDROM entry is present.

Repeat with each device below that, Display Adapters etc. (see exceptions below), removing all duplicate entries inside a main heading. If duplicates are present, remove all those Duplicate Entries Only, inside a main heading.

Do Not bother Hard Disk Controllers, System Devices, and USB controllers.

Restart via the Start button and Windows will re-detect, refresh and only replace those devices needed. There is no use for 2 keyboards, CDROM etc. as those duplicates cause some of the errors you describe.

7. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Run the Panda virus scan by clicking the colored link at bottom of my post. The eror message at Startup and the missing drive are not connected, relax. You're likely going to get help here. Read the posts again carefully.

8. DFC

DFC

You might want to check this out.

9. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Uninstall that garbage ZA firewall now then restart your computer, if you haven't already then get Sygate. Click the appropriate colored link at the bottom of my post.

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

uninstall ZA in Safe Mode if necessary.

11. Filewasp

Filewasp Thread Starter

I started a new job so just yesterday did I have time to mess with this.
    In Regedit I removed the vsdata95.vxd and related files rebooted, after making sure all signs of zone alarm were gone and no longer get the missing file screen on boot up. Yea! for that one.
    As Styxx recomended to clean up my device manager in safe mode, I deleted the CDROM's and most everything except for the items under Hard Disk Controllers, System Devices, and USB controllers. I rebooted and it found and replaced all but has two problems:
    (1)Insert disk called SIS Fast Ethernet Adapter (need file dhcpcsvc.dll) there is a yellow ! in Device Manager. I tried having it try to find it on the win98 disk- no joy

(2)Yellow ! by Secondary IDE controller (not on win 98 disk or at least I tried)

Where do I go from here? I am writing this on my system, and have hooking up the other computer to my monitor to work on it. Thanks for any input.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The motherboard model number might be needed to determine the exact device information if it is not available through the Device Manager, and indeed the motherboard vendor is really the best source for these types of driver installs if they are integrated devices (not separate cards). The Ide drivers will almost always be motherboard specific.

But have a look on these pages and see if you can match up the Device information with the driver downloads required.

http://www.sis.com/support/index.htm?PHPSESSID=e7bf6ba4d2aeebe6f3046c71ed4083ec

http://www.motherboard.cz/netcard/sis.htm

The network card is no biggie unless you are actually using it for broadband or networking. But the IDE driver is.

By the way, before proceeding I would recommend installing Everests Home Edition System Information utility. It is free and in many cases will provide all required information, including links to motherboard and vendor sites for device drivers:

http://www.dmi.no/product_everesthome.php?lang=en

13. Filewasp

Filewasp Thread Starter

Rollin Rog: thanks for the quick response.
    This is odd because I found another monitor and fired it up on that one so I could work more easily. Windows searched for a driver for the monitor and booted right up. I looked in Device Manager and it showed this time under hard disk controllers the primary, the secondary and the sis 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controler. Also under Network adapters it shows the SIS PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. Odd because when it was hooked up yesterday, it could not find the dirivers for those items! The thing that is now missing is that there is no mention of the CDRW, only the main CDROM.

14. Styxx

Styxx Banned

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?dhcpcsvc here's where you can find the ethernet adapter .dll file you need.

As far as the IDE controller go to Safe Mode - remove that target device and it's duplicates, in System Devices, and reboot, post back. you have to go back in Safe Mode Device Manager to make sure things are mopped up after the initial cleaning.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the CD-ROM is on the secondary IDE and the secondary IDE is not being properly supported, it will not show up.

Monitor drivers are almost never an issue; Windows will support them with generic PlugnPlay drivers, but these may not be the ideal. To get the right ones you must go to the support page for the Monitor vendor.

Are you still showing any marks by the secondary or primary IDEs? If Windows is not automatically reinstalling these drivers, I think you should be able to use the ones from the SiS support page. Just follow the links and prompts for the IDE drivers for Win 98/ME

http://driver2.sis.com/getfile.php?...a49b914fab1994c46a97f84&id=155792&country=USA

I haven't downloaded these to check them out, but typically such files will either contain an "exe" which can be run or an inf file. They must be unzipped to a separate folder. If it is an "inf" file you just point Windows to it when it asks where to reinstall the drivers from.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice