1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Monitor and Computer won't communicate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chaos, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chaos

Chaos Thread Starter

I have an Athlon XP 1533mhz, Win XP, 256mb ram, 40 gig HD, GeForce3 Golden Sample cpu, and last night I had to do a hard shutdown. When I attempted to reboot, the monitor simply clicked off (into standby mode) while the comptuer began booting up. I figured it wasn't a big deal so turned the monitor on to find a blank monitor check screen that the monitor displays when the monitor power is on but the CPU is not. I repeatedly tryed rebooting, each time having the monitor turn off. Somtimes, the monitor would simply slip into standby as soon as I powered on the PC, and other times the cpu boot up managed to get somewhat far before the monitor shut off. I repeatedly checked the cables and GeForce to make sure everything was plugged in. I'm still at a loss to think of what the problem is. I'm not sure wehther I have a virus, a GeForce/Driver/HD malfunction, a faulty cable, or what. I wouldn't assume it's the cable since the monitor problem is very consistant. I also don't believe it's the monitor, since it appears to be working fine until it slips into standby.

I'm not sure what has caused this problem. I have heard many different things such as it could be an unsupported refresh rate causing my monitor to turn off. I recently made my Desktop resolution higher, but it seemed to run fine for the few days before I got this problem. At this point I'm ready to haul the thing into a computer repair store and leave it to them because frankly I'm a bit to fustrated to keep workin on it myself.

Anybody know what the deal is or maybe some solutions?

Thanks.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Chaos

I would try a different monitor to see if it has the same problems. If not then its probably time for a new monitor. If you still have boot up problem with a different monitor then you have problems with the PC. Please post back with your findings and we can go from there. Have you tryed booting into safe mode to see if the problem occurs there or do you never get that far?

Bye the way WELCOME TO TSG. :)

3. Chaos

Chaos Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome =)

Before I had a chance to work on it more, the computer was taken in to a repair shop (I'm not the only user for the PC). However, the shop requested the tower only, not the monitor or cable. I assume its not a hardware issue unless the GeForce is actually damaged, but if they can't find out what's wrong I will know it's the monitor or cable, and when I find out (hopefully soon) I'll post here.

Thanks

4. Chaos

Chaos Thread Starter

The problem was the GeForce, it burnt out. When you would turn on the computer it would run until it simply failed, often letting the CPU boot up for 4-5 seconds before shutting down the monitor.

Anyway, GeForce 4's were on sale yesterday at Best Buy for 99 bucks so I picked one of them up =)

Thanks

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi again Chaos

Well I'm glad you got your system working again and thanks for letting us know what the solution to your problem was. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/96149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice