1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Multilink ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhettman5, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    not sure if this is the correct forum, but we will see.

I have 2 phone lines running to my home. I can only connect at 26.6 max because of ny rural location.

I have been told that since I have a spare phone line and a spare modem that I can Multilink both modems to my computer and increase my D/L speeds approx 80 %

I realize I will have to contact my ISP and make sure this is ok W/O additional charges, but I was wondering if any of you have done this and could give me a walkthrough on how to do it?

modem #1 pac tell win-modem ( I know ) internal
    modem #2 US Robotics 56k external

I would probably only run the second modem in the evening to d/l files , I can live with the 26.6 for surfing, but d/l times are terrible.

Thanks in advance...Rhett

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

3. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

Thanks Davey ,
    never thought it could be so simple...now to call my ISP and see if the price will go up !! :rolleyes:

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Rhett
    Let us know how it works.
    Dave

5. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

I called my Isp and they would require me to open another account to multilink, or in essence, double my cost.

It was worth a try, guess I should have called them first, ticks me off because I still wouldn't be at there 56k supported speed, so bandwidth shouldn't be a concern.

Oh well ,I will live with it, or shop for a different isp, Thanks Davey :)...Rhett

6. CLMSS

CLMSS

I tried multilink before.......its great if you have been a 56K user all these time.It may seem expensive as you pay double(phone line,access fee) but acctually its the same price as using just one modem coz u get things done in half the time ! I am a 56K user (sadly) been downloading at rates like 4 K/B per sec.....it just takes too long to download files...but if you use multilink,DL sppeds are improved alot ! my personal best is 9 K/B per sec !

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice