1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Need advice for changing Mobo and Processor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chum, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Current system is a Pent. 2 350...I now have a better Mobo(Abit BF6) and CPU(P3 500) already with it's own case and tested.

I have 2 years+ worth of stuff on the HDD, that I do not wish to re-install and/or download.

What steps should I do 1st? Should I just put my HDD(Seagate 30G), and (AGP)GeForce 2 video card in 1st, let Wiondows(98) "find them" and go from there, or what?

Someone "told me" that I could just take every peripheral and connect them to the new(er) mobo and Windows would "find the new(er) mobo" and "take care of the rest".

What are my best choices...without reformatting?

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

You should be able to just hook everything up to the new motherboard.

Just make sure on the new motherboard that you set the primary ide to auto because if you set it manually to the wrong size, you could mess up the data on your hard drive.

Also you might have to start the computer in safe mode to get rid of some of the devices that were for your other motherboard, but that's only if there is a problem.

And of course you will probably have to reinstall some drivers like the one for your videocard.

It should go pretty smooth.

3. wedor

wedor

You may want to copy the win 98 CD to your hard drive first since often when you switch motherboards you will have no access to the CD for a while.

4. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

The thing that bothers me is IRQs...the "new(er)" bios on the ABIT has the option of manually assigning IRQs...since the drive I want to install in it thinks they were set a certain way...should I manually assign them to the "old numbers" or just, let it go on its own?

5. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

I assume this is for getting drivers and such if I need them.(?)

:D Thanks for all your help!:D

6. wedor

wedor

Yes.

7. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks...any help on the IRQ question?

8. wedor

wedor

I would not be concerned about it.

You should actually delete the Enum key from HKeyLocalMachine just before you switch boards, this will erase all of the hardware settings from the registry, Windows will then "find" all the new hardware and install it.

It would also be best to have any other drivers that are CD based already copied to the HDD for ease of access.

9. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Got everything working except usb...cannot find anything in bios about it. My modem is usb. Had to reinstall Win 98 to get stuff working...and it is first edition...could this be the problem? When I try to install the drivers for the modem...it says "no device connected".

10. wedor

wedor

Do the USB ports show up in Device Manager?

11. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Well...I was desperate for a solution...and since I had saved a copy of the registry before I deleted the Enum key from HKeyLocalMachine...I went ahead and imported that registry and modem started working...

Thanks to all who helped!!!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/90434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice