1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Need Help restoring program.exe.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kristi1972us, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kristi1972us

Kristi1972us Thread Starter

undefinedundefinedundefined I have been trying to play music and when i try to open it it says that it cannot find program.exe.file to run the program i have windows ME please help :(

2. Lobos

Lobos

first what program are you trying to open
    and what is the exact error message

3. Lobos

Lobos

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Program.exe is a "generic" message that Windows sometimes uses when it does not have a proper file association for a specfic file type that you are trying to open. This often happens with .zip files; but since you say this is a music file, I'm thinking that Windows is looking for an audio file association.

You really need to tell us what the file type is that you are trying to run. For example if it is a audiocd or cda file, the default association might be cdplayer; but this sometimes gets changed and if the media player that it was changed to gets removed, then you get that error message.

What "media players" do you have installed? If you have Windows Media Player, version 7 or higher I believe, just open it, go to Tools > Options > File Types, and click "Select All"

5. Kristi1972us

undefinedundefinedundefined I'm trying to open an MP3 file it was working fine the other day then i downloaded something had to remove it and thats when it wouldnt let me open my MP3's i can put in a cd and it plays fine.... i have windows media player thanks for the help you are giving me

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Were these mp3 files playing through Windows Media Player before? And have you opened the Player and gone to Tools > Options > File Types and verified that you still have WMP selected as the default player for that file type? If it is checked, try removing the check, click "apply", then replace the check and click "OK".

Also, remember that in WinME you have the option of using System Restore to return to a date when you did not have this problem. Start > Run, enter msconfig and launch System Restore. All installs, and uninstalls following the date you choose to restore to will be reversed. You will have the option of UNdoing the restore if it fails to correct the problem.

7. Kristi1972us

undefinedundefinedundefined Hey that did it went into the tools and it wasnt checked as being the default for my MP3's thank you so much for helping me :) (y) (y) (y) (y) :)

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great! You are certainly welcome. :)

9. silkphoenix

silkphoenix

Hi, I am using Window 98. I have the same problem when I am trying to open any JPG files. I used to be able to open them, but now I can't. I have installed a program called "Irfanview" which enable me to open any jpg files. Previously whenever I opened a jpg files, "Irfanview" will open automatically and let me see the photos. Last week my PC crashed and now when I clicked on any jpg files, I got the "cannot find program.exe...." error message and "Irfanview" will not open automatically and I have to open it manually in order for me to open any jpg files. Does anyone know how can I fix the problem so whenever I click on any jpg files, I can open the files automatically. Thank you in advance for any comments/suggestions.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you want IrfanView to be the default viewer, have you tried going through Irfanview's Options > Properties > extensions and re-associating jpegs that way?

If you want to return to the IE defaults, get the "all in one" jpeg fix from this site and run it:

http://www.geocities.com/one_human/advanced.html#JPG_GIF_fix

11. silkphoenix

silkphoenix

Hi, Rollin' Rog ,

Thank you for your advice.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice