[Resolved] Need SERIOUS HELP ASAP!!PLEASE!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kickrz

I have no idea what the heck I did but whatever I did it messed up my whole computer. I can't open internet explorer or any thing else that is on my main drive. Even if I put a cd in and try to install a program I get an error that says "The specified path does not exist. Check path and then try again".

Please help ASAP I can't do anything and my hubby will be upset cause he just formatted 3 days ago.

If I could do a system restore maybe things would be ok but I can't even get into it to do it.

Please I beg you HELP ME!!

I am running XP pro.

Thanks
Lynn

kickrz

If I reboot and press F8 I get to the screen that asks advanced options. Would selecting Last Known Good Configuration help me or will it make matters worse???

Originally posted by kickrz:
If I reboot and press F8 I get to the screen that asks advanced options. Would selecting Last Known Good Configuration help me or will it make matters worse???
yes - try that first

kickrz

Argg That didn't work either. Something is majorly screwed up. I want to do a system restore but not sure how I can get to the control panel but when I click on system is says rundll32.exe the specified file does not exist blah blah blah.

I need HELP!!!
Please is there a way to do a system restore from start up???

try booting into safe mode - tap f8 key at boot up then choose safe mode

try system restore from there.

kickrz

I did try that and it is the same thing I can't get into the system folder.

hmmm - i'm having a think about this now - maybe someone else will have a suggestion....

sit tight - don't worry :)

so if u click start - help & support , then choose system restore - no joy ?

kickrz

Easier said then done. I am beat tired, pregnant and terrified I wrecked the computer :( I have to get this fixed before my husband finds out!
I appreciate the help and have no choice but to sit and wait.

If you have any other suggestions on how to do a system restore from start up I would appreciate it.

Thanks Again
Lynn

kickrz

No if I click on start Help and Support I get an error that says helpctr.exe The specified path does not exist.....But I know it does.arggggggg

I have messaged another knowledable member & now we wait.

Make yourself a nice cuppa & try to relax - please.

I'm sure this will be sorted soon ;)

kickrz

I really do appreciate all your help and PRAY this can be fixed.

Thanks again and again :)

Lynn

Typically XP will automatically restore system files like rundll32.exe

Can yu do a file search for it and let us know where it shows up? Perhaps we can copy it to the system32 folder where it normally belongs.

Also try this: Start > run, enter msconfig

Does it open? Try selecting "launch System Restore", do you get that same error message?

And if I were your hubby I would be much more upset if I formatted months ago rather than days ago. It simply means not too much will be lost if you have to do it again.

kickrz

Ok I did a search and found it in C:Windows.System32.

Also when I try to run msconfig I get the same error Specified path does not exist. Everything seems to be in the right spot but nothing is comming up. I am trying to figure out what I did to mess it all up. The only thing I can think of was when I took IE6 out of the main startup menu. Also I was having trouble recalling Microsoft Works and when I went to put it in the right directory everything I clicked tried to open in there (works I mean) so I deleted it and that was when nothing would open.

Hope this makes sense cause it is all I can think of that I did.

Thanks. My husband won't be terribly mad but he just doesn't have the time right now to be fixing it. I hate to bother anyone but I would like to fix my own mistake.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online