1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}New hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Depillpusher, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Depillpusher

Depillpusher Thread Starter

Hi all, I'm bacckkkk!!!! I knew it wouldn't be long. Any ways I bought a new hard drive, has 20G. It is physically installed in the machine, and is recognized in my system, but it has no drive letter. I know it has to be F, but HOW do I get it to do that???

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Did you Fdisk and Format the new drive? A second hard drive will be seen by Windows as D with all partitions on C and other drives moving down 1 letter.

3. Depillpusher

Hi Paul thanks for getting back to me, No I didn't fdisk, but it you tell me how I will. My puter peeps have alot of faith in me and thought I could do this and they were just closing so I really couldn't get back to them. See I am one of those people that can rip it apart, put it back together and eventually figure it out, but this time I am lost. So Please, please, please give me a few simple directions and I will be just fine. I appreciate it more than you know. My system does know it is there, but it did NOT give it a drive letter (prolly cuz I didn't fdisc and and format...OOOPS)
    Ronda

4. BEL6772

BEL6772

I like to FDISK from DOS. It will work from Windows, but you have to restart the machine before changes you made through FDISK will take effect, so I go from DOS.

The FDISK program should already be on your (original) HDD. It usually lives in c:\windows\command. You should probably verify that it's there before you proceed. NOTE: the FDISK program does not have to be in that directory ... no need to move it around. Just make sure you know where it is.

Once you know where it is, use the "Restart in MS-DOS" option to get out of windows and into DOS. If you have a path statement in your autoexec.bat file all you'll need to do now is type FDISK at the c:> then hit <ENTER>. If that doesn't work, type CD\WINDOWS\COMMAND (or whatever directory FDISK is in) and hit <ENTER>, then run FDISK.

Once FDISK starts, it will ask you if you want to enable large disk support. Answer 'yes'. Then you'll be in the main FDISK menu. You will have options to create partitions and logical drives, delete partitions and logical drives, view current partition information, and select drive. Use the 'select' option to choose your new drive. Use the 'view' option to verify that you're working on your new drive. It should have no partition information. Your existing drive will have partition information to show you. Again, it is IMPORTANT that you're working on your new drive. Once you're sure you've got the new drive selected, use the 'create partition' option to create a primary DOS partition on the drive. If you want all 20GB in one drive letter, choose to use maximum available space. Follow the prompts on the bottom of the screen, it will tell you to ESC when finished to exit FDISK. Once you're done, you'll be returned to the DOS prompt. Turn your 'puter off and back on. You should now have a new drive letter showing. You will need to do a full format before you can use the space. As mentioned above, the new drive will likely show up as the D: drive and push the other drives down a letter. MAKE SURE you format the right drive. Congrats on installing your new HDD!

Any questions, post 'em. You'll probably get an answer!

5. Depillpusher

BEL6772 Thank you, thank you, thank, from the bottom of my heart. I did exactly as you said and low and behold I now have a new hard drive called D. I would have named it after you but the puter had it's own ideas and didn't really give me a chice. LOL
    Thanks again, I will be back!!!
    Ronda:D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice