1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}New window docking

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Davey7549, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Hey Gang
    Anyone have any little tricks to force a new window to dock right instead of left upon opening. The key to this is it must survive a restart or cold boot.
    I have tried the standard Maximize trick and aslo the set all alike.
    Dave

2. Brandoline

Brandoline

Well, Davey, for one thing, the "Set all alike" only accomplishes changing the way a folder/window displays icons, for example whether it auto-arranges, or whether it shows icons in List or Details view. So, that will not accomplish your goal. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by the Maximize trick, but I guess I need more information about what windows you are trying to control. I can give you some guidelines though.

If, for example, you are using "My Computer" and you want that window to show up in a certain place, you must move the window right after opening it. This is before you do anything else inside the window, like clicking on the C: drive. Keep in mind that you must not be maximized to do this. Then you must close the window immediately. You can also adjust the size of a window right after opening it and then close it immediately to retain size settings. You should be able to open the "My Computer" again and see if it retained your placement.

The same basic ideas apply to software programs like Word and Excel and Internet Explorer. Keep in mind that you can only do this with those software programs when you start them fresh. You can not open a related file or document shortcut and then place the window, because it will not retain the placement.

So, to sum up, open the window, move it or resize it, and then close it immediately.

Good luck! :D

3. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Brandoline
    Thank you for the input! The maximize trick I was referring to was following your procedure in sizing/moving window upon opening,
    not closing immediately, then maximizing window, then minimize.
    This proceedure allowed subsequent windows opened to be in the same position as the one previously worked on. The trouble I am having is these settings of the window will not hold trough a restart. I will try your idea and post back the results.
    The reason I want a dock to right side of screen is my quick launch bar runs up the left side of my screen.
    Dave

4. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Brandoline
    Well the window still wants to initially open docking left after restart. Sure would be nice if there was some reg setting to force a dock to right side first launch after boot. If push comes to shove I suppose I could move the quick launch to the right side of the screen.
    Thanks again
    Dave

5. Brandoline

Brandoline

Davey,
    What window specifically is it that you are trying to dock? Also, what program's quick launch bar are you using? With this info, I can surely help you better.
    :) Brandoline

6. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Brandoline
    I guess a screenshot is worth a thousand words.
    The window of course here is IE, however any window will start docked left covering my quicklaunch bar.
    Dave

Attached Files:

7. Brandoline

Brandoline

Davey
    OK, I see a few things you can attempt.

First of all, right click the horizontal bar at the top of the quicklaunch bar and see if you see the menu item "Always on Top". This will dock everything at least to the right of it so that it will never be covered.

Secondly, I see that your IE window takes up the whole window. The suggestion that I gave you earlier WILL work, but you have to probably make the window smaller first. That means open IE from the IE icon, resize the window, then close IE. Reopen IE and make sure that it is the size you want. Then position the window (do not go to any websites before you do this), close IE, and reopen, making sure it is where you had put it.

Last but not least, if you DO want IE maximized all the time and you set the quicklaunch to always be on top, you can open IE, (don't go to any websites), maximize, then close IE immediately. Reopen IE, and make sure that it is still maximized.

Do any and/or all of the above, then do a shutdown using the start button and it should retain whichever placement you chose. If that doesn't do it, we may have to talk on the phone! LOL
    :D Brandoline

8. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Brandoline
    Thank you my friend! You solved one of lifes little frustrations.
    Did not have to do much more than set the "always on top" switch and once window was set in proper size and place I used the ctrl X close function to force windows to remember. All windows now open within the provided area regardless of restart.
    Thank you again. I owe you one!
    Dave:D:D:D

9. Brandoline

Brandoline

You are welcome! Glad to help. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice