1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] No sound problem..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rusti k, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

After formatting my HD I installed Win.Me. I don't know where to find the information on my PC that will tell me what driver I need to install - if that is what I need to do to get sound? (My HD was wiped out from a virus, I was using Win98 update from orig.95.)
    Appreciate the help -Thanks, Rusti

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Is the computer a name brand, like Compaq, Dell, etc--if so, please post the exact make and model....post all that you can find.
    Download the Belarc Advisor....it can ID system hardware and show you quite a bit about your computer....software and hardware.
    When drivers are not installed, it may not ID some things, sometimes it does. Here: www.belarc.com
    Choose the Free Download from there....put it on the desktop, 2click to install, then, run the program from the new icon it made you on the desktop, it will create a page of info for you. Look under "Sound" or "Multimedia" for your sound device...if there is none, you will have to open case and look for it.
    Do your speaker wires plug into an added in sound card....which would be a separate card, plugged into the motherboard at right angles....or is it along the row of onboard items, like the mouse and keyboard ports....that would be an onboard sound chip. For either, you can with the pc off and unplugged, open the case and carefully examine the sound card or chip....read all the info such as any label for a make and model and post it. If it is an onboard chip, you will have to look closely at all the chips and find one that says Audio,,,or some mention of sound. Example: ESS Solo-1 or, Yamaha , or
    Crystal Audio or
    or Cmedia or SoundBlaster
    Do you have any paperwork for the computer, that may list the sound device? Might know if a former owner has any?

3. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

Mercy! I typed a reply but I lost it..anyway, I'm sorry but I have a no-name PC..a tech person called it a 'clone'. It is made up of different working parts that I bought or were given to me. I did just install a SIS560 driver for my video.
    Someone else suggested to fiind the BIOS number during boot-up. I will try that..thanks Byteman

4. Byteman

Hi, The BIOS string, or number, would help if you happen to have the on the motherboard chip type of sound device. If you have a PCI or ISA sound card, it won't. Can't hurt to know what motherboard you have at all, so do that.

5. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

I'm sorry Byteman, I didn't understand your message, or what to do?..thanks, rusti

6. Byteman

Hi, We are trying to find out if you have an onboard or added in sound device (card or chip) You posted that you were advised to get the BIOS number (we call it a "string") You find this when the computer first starts up....it is a loooong number and letter combination, like this:
    AWI 2a59qdi.xxxxxx..xxxxxxxxxx...xxx
    Sort of like that....yours is different.
    You can use the Pause button on the keyboard to freeze that information screen to record the number so you can post it here. It will allow us to attempt to ID the motherboard, in case you do have an onboard sound chip, so you can get drivers for it, to enable your sounds.

7. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

OK, here's a bunch I wrote down at start-up:

Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
    6/22/99 v1.03.52 for PT-5 SMT
    AMD-k6 (tm) - 2/450 CPU
    Plug & Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
    1999 Award Software
    PnP Sound Chip IDE Controller

8. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

Here's some more stuff I found in Msinfo32:

Name ALI 3D Enh Sound PnP (WDM)
    Manufacturer Avance Logic, Inc.
    Status OK
    I/O Port 0x0220-0x022F
    IRQ Channel IRQ 5
    DMA Channel DMA 1
    DMA Channel DMA 3
    Driver c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd (, 1,019.88 KB (1,044,352 bytes), Not Available)
    Driver c:\windows\system\mmdevldr.vxd (4.90.3000, 17.62 KB (18,043 bytes), Not Available)

Name Wave Device for Voice Modem
    Manufacturer Microsoft
    Status OK
    Driver c:\windows\system\mmdevldr.vxd (4.90.3000, 17.62 KB (18,043 bytes), Not Available)

9. Byteman

Hi, Well, almost....we need the long number that you see, it may be down at the bottom edge of your screen, as I posted, you can freeze the screen to copy it down so you can post the whole thing. Usually they look something like this:
    Award Pnp i430TX-NS309-2A59IQ!GC-00

That's the type of number we need. Unless, you have a motherboard manual or paperwork that shows the motherboard make and model?
    EDIT: Ah, wait, I see that it is an Advance Logic...
    for sound. But, it looks like you have an AZZA PT-5SMT motherboard, which from what I see uses the SiS 530 chipset.
    You posted that you had installed the SiS560 driver....could that possibly have been a typo??
    The azza support info also says your motherboard does not support win ME! I would not panic, it might be old info....just wait, see if you can verify the driver and chipset SiS530 and that you made a typing error, OK?

For those helping or observing: AZZA specs for this mobo:

http://www.azzaboard.com/pt-5smt.html

10. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

Hi again too..I did download a video driver SIS530 to get the 256 color I need. This is what Don K sent me:

Yep, Azza is the manufacturer. Here's their website: http://www.azza.com.tw/Layout.asp
    The best match I could find for your mb was the 5SMT. If that is indeed the correct board, then you have a sound chip built onto the mb. According to the manual it's an Avance Logic ALS-120 sound chip.
    Here's the link to download the sound drivers: http://www.azza.com.tw/Layout.asp?Page=drivers
    It is the first one on the list. Hopefully that'll do it.

I downloaded it but now I don't know how to unzip or run it or whatever?? thanks, Rusti K

11. Byteman

Hi-
    The info Don gave you is correct, about the ALS-120 sound, if that is your motherboard.
    Can you go to the azza link I posted just above this reply, it has a pic of your suspected mobo, and verify that it is correct.
    You can also take a quick look down at the motherboard in your machine, see if there is a PT-5SMT marking on it, might be in one of the corners on the edge.
    You need a file uzipping program, like WinZip to unpack the compressed file to a folder on your hard drive.
    WinZip can be downloaded, the evaluation version does not expire. Here: http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

Choose the Evaluation version, and be sure it is the one in
    .exe format, which you can install with double click.
    It should install to C:\Program Files.
    When you download the ALS-120 sound file in .zip form, you just click "Open" or double click it, after WinZip is installed, and it will open with WinZip. You need to "unzip" it to a folder...you can create a new folder, rename it to "Sound"....somewhere on your hard drive to have ready. WinZip will ask you what folder you want to unzip it TO- I advise that you browse to the folder you created, Sound, and let it unzip the files to that. Then, you will have a copy of the unzipped drivers handy. Inside the Sound folder, which you will look at from a Windows Explorer window, you will find a setup.exe file to double click to start the program installing the sound drivers.... Next, you go into the Device Manager, select what might be your sound chip without a driver installed, something like "Multimedia Device", click Properties, and click "Driver" next, click "Update Driver" and point the Wizard TO the folder you made called "Sound" and OK it....drivers should be found and install.
    This last part----sometimes, as soon as the drivers are unpacked, upon restarting, the New Hardware is found, just continue and point the Wizard to Sound folder.

12. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

thanks don k I downloaded free CAM UnZip. And Byteman, I downloaded Advance Logic sound driver.
    I have them both in a new folder named 'sound'.

Device Manager says:
    ALI 3D Enh Sound PnP (WDM)
    ALI MPU 401 driver (WDM)
    ALI Wave Device for Voice Modem
    ALI FM Synthesis (WDM)
    ALI Game Port
    There are no yellow (!) by any.

Now what do I do? sorry to be so dumb...thanks, Rusti

13. Byteman

Hi,

Hmmmmm- no yellow marks there- have you installed the sound drivers, or was there any New Hardware found for your sound system when you did anything? Apparently Don is helping you through Private Messages....or email, so I am not sure what has taken place. The sound device shows in Device Manager, so I am wondering why you do not have sound at this point.

Are you sure the speakers are turned on, and plugged into the correct sound port on your computer? Speaker wire should be plugged to the hole that has SPK or is marked somehow for Audio Out (to the speakers, from the sound chip or motherboard).
    Do you see any yellow volume icon in the lower right taskbar, and can you click it once to open the sound adjustment slider?
    And, if you see the volume icon, double click it, this pops up a bunch of controls....make sure the Main Volume and other things are not checked to Mute.
    If you do not have the volume icon in taskbar, etc:
    You need to get into the BIOS at a bootup, and check for the setting that enables onboard sound, it may have been switched.
    Might be in a category called Advanced Periperals....they are all different, but you will know it when you see it. Make no other changes now. You have to be careful, as changing things is easy and it is not easy to remember what you changed unless you are very familiar with these settings! If you make a mistake and forget what you did or something, there is an option to NOT save changes, so use that and just do it over, the settings will stay as they were before you went into BIOS.
    You adjust things in the BIOS by using the arrow up and down keys or + - keys when the entry you want to adjust is highlighted...use the arrrow up and down keys to move down to what you want to adjust, and hit Enter to display it's option settings, change the onboard sound so it is enabled. Then, look to find the SAVE AND EXIT key to press, tell it yes, you want to save/exit you will restart. These helper messages are usually on the side or the bottom of the screen to guide you, also.
    Any sound now?
    If not- probably you do need to install the drivers.
    You should make a new folder within the Sound folder, rename it to something like Snddrvr. Run the download for sound you got, CAM unzip will open up and ask what you wish to do with that zip file....you need to Extract the compressed files in it, TO the newest folder you just made, SndDrvr....after that is done, restart. Detection should start, looking for drivers for sound...point it to (means to enter the correct location of the folder you unzipped files TO, namely SndDrvr....the driver should install. Follow instructions on screen.

14. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

Hi Byteman..I will print out what you wrote and try to do the folder names and downloads but I am really scared to get into that other stuff..sure as heck I would screw something else up.
    (The CAM UnZip was a suggestion from Don K for a free version.)
    Let me try some of what you said to do...until later, Rusti

15. Rusti k

Rusti k Thread Starter

Hi Byteman; besides doing all the things I mentioned..I also have a question first. I never know which to choose and why..When downloading, do I a) run this program from it's current location -or- b) save this progarm to disk. What makes the difference in this..thanks a bunch..Rusti

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/120923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice