1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Norton and Auto Update

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lschul, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have Norton Antivirus 2002, I have the automatic update turned on but for some reason it doesn't seem to update automatically, whenever I update to new virus definitions, I initiate the udpate, the updates may be 1-2 weeks old, this is supposed to detect them, am I doing something wrong?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's always worked for me, there isn't much you can screw up in the settings as I recall. Enable Live Update and Apply Updates without Interrupting Me is what I have set. in mine. Mine is an OEM package that came with this motherboard, AV2002.

3. DVOM

DVOM

There's another way to update Norton and there's new updates nearly everyday. Same files (but different format) as the English Updates site. I've set up all the machines at work with this batch file and it's been nearly flawless.

The first post on this site explains how to do it.

The only problem I've ever had with it is once in a great while the downloaded file is corrupt and doesn't install.

4. paul selhi

paul selhi

you can manulayy update using intelligent updater from the norton site, this downloads a 6+ MB virus def exe which scans your drive and updates programs as needed

5. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Yah, I have done it manually with no problem, but it used to work with auto update, I have run through a whole list of things to try from Norton, Wednesday it should update so I will see if it works tomorrow! Thanks

6. paul selhi

paul selhi

could just be an internet glitch, i had a similar problem the other day so i used intelligent updater, now i get through ok on auto updater

7. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

what is intelligent updater? Is that where I do the live update? This hasn't worked for months but I just did the diagnostics as Norton said to do. Thanks, Lance

8. paul selhi

paul selhi

intelligent updater is a program you d/l from the norton site, it scans your drive for relevant programs and updates them

9. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

can you providea link or is it easy to find?

10. paul selhi

paul selhi

11. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Hi Paul, what will this do? I can manually click on live update and it works, in fact, I did that today and no new definitions were available so I am still waiting to see if I fixed it or not.

12. paul selhi

paul selhi

if live updates work then fine, if they don't then d/l intelligent ud. it is also used by system admins who have a number of products that they wish to update at once

13. DVOM

DVOM

lschul, did you check out my previous links? There's new updates everyday with that method and you can use task scheduler to run it invisibly.

Edit: And I've solved the problem I had by scheduling it to run 2 hours later.

14. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I think I got it fixed, seemed to be something wrong with my task scheduler, it worked all by itself today. thanks!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!