1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Norton Virus Defin. Intelligent updater failed

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Circe, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Circe

Circe Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I have just attempted to manually download the latest norton's virus updates (February 11, 2003) through the 'Intelligent Updater' and after it downloaded a grey box popped up stating that either I don't have enough disk space or the file is a read only file. So I cancelled because I most definitely have ample disk space and then I attempted to download the file again which gave me the same message, thinking it must be a read only file I pressed ok to go ahead and instal the latest update file.

Now I have a big red cross and a red error message in against Virus Definitions on my Norton's. Whatever has happened here my norton's is now unable either to pick up virus definitions from either the live update service or through the manual intelligent update service.

I am now without any virus protection.

I have tried to look where to go on the Symantec web site to report this problem I have encountered. Can anyone please help me or direct me to an actual page where I can post the problem I have encountered here to get some help to solve it. All I have seen on the site is pre fabricated computer generated trouble shooting problems and solutions, which do not address this problem I have.

I really need your help here guys PLEASE as I am without any virus protection!

Thank you

2. Circe

Circe Thread Starter

Nevermind guys, I went back and manually downloaded the bigger 6.33 MB file from the norton's site (the one for multiple computers to update) and it has fixed the problem, my virus definitions now have green tick!

There must have been a problem within the 20030211-004-i32.exe
    February 11, 2003
    3.56 MB
    file itself.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Circe
    Thanks for bringing the problem to our attention. If the mini update is faulty then others will experience the same.

Dave

4. TOGG

TOGG

Yup, it happened to me as well!!!

I went through the tedious routine of Symantec support and, about 12 hours later, got a response in which they acknowledged that they were aware of this 'issue' - namely that this file corrupts your definitions.

I was offered a link to their ftp server to get the same update but the page wouldn't open for me however often I tried even after I lowered IE security settings. If anyone needs it this is it;
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/engli...initions/norton_antivirus/20030211-004i32.exe

I was able to d/l a document detailing how to correct this (basically uninstall and re-install) and will post the link below;

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nav.nsf/docid/2002061113103906?Open&src=w

Note that there is an error in the uninstall instructions in that they suggest that you can click on 'Program Files' in 'My Computer' well, not in my copy of Win 98 you can't but you can in Windows Explorer.

Anyway, I'm reinstalled and updated now after a long d/l on my slow dialup but I am not impressed with Symantec!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!