1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}not able to partition old HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joetech, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

I've installed all my hardware in my new EPOX / AMD Athlon and the new 40g HD partitioned just fine but my old HD Western Digital Caviar 21200, 13gig is not found by Fdisk. The CMOS shows it but I can't format it. I've tried it as Master on 33 ribbon cable. I've tried it alone as single HD with 66/100 ribbon cable. I've tried it as slave on 66/100 ribbon cable. CMOS finds it but Fdisk will not. Can anyone tell me what to do next?
    Also It's been a while since I built my last one, I don't remember how I got the drive name for the CD drive.

2. deuce

deuce

How old is the computer? What is the speed? What happens when you try the WD alone? Have you tried formating the WD with EZ-install?

3. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

I have AMD 1.4G xp. I tried the WD alone and CMOS did not see it. Would it matter if I use 33/ cable or 66/100 ribbon cable?
    I want to save the data on the HD. I don't want to format it.
    Will EZ-install destroy the data?
    If I take the WD out, how do I get the CDRW to work?
    The 1.44 floppy works fine.
    Thanks.

4. deuce

deuce

Well, you should probably use the original cable. I am not sure if you have to select ATA 33, 66, or 100, or it is automatically selected, but you could try doing that in the bios. Also, if your HD and bios doesn't support 33 anything over 33 (which I'm sure it does) then you can't use the 66/100.

Yes, the EZ-install formats the HD. If it has an OS and your bios shows it, then it should boot ok. If you are trying to save the data, then what are you doing in fdisk? Try booting to the WD. Also, if get the WD to boot and you can't use it with another HD, then why not use the CDRW to copy off all the data your need to save?

5. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

Since I didn't have doc. for the old WD I set the jumper as indicated on top of the HD, didn't work. I remove the jumper and now it boots up great.
    Thanks for your help and info.

6. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

I have the old WD drive running as C: and D: with Windows and the CDRW as E: . My new 40G Maxtor is found by CMOS but how do I define and partition this new drive?
    I received the drive with no CD , instructions, or driver.

7. brianF

brianF

Windows won't see the drive until it's formated.
    If you just want to leave it as one large drive, just boot to the dos prompt, navigate to the drive, check the size to make sure you have the right drive, and format it.
    If you want to partition it boot to the c prompt, run fdisk, select option 1, create primary dos partition, make sure you have the correct drive selected for the screen, make this partition what ever size you want, when done, choose the option to create extended dos partition, make this the remaining size of the drive, now choose the option to create logical drives within the extended partition, you can make one or as many as you want within the extend partition. When done, format all

8. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

I must have used and old version of Fdisk before. This time it found the new unformatted disk. I'm formatting now, and working
    great. Thanks for the help.
    It's been about 2 years since I built a PC. Guess I need to make some notes.
    The old WD drive would not work as slave...I had to make it a master and take out the jumper in order for CMOS to find it.
    Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice