1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] nothing in control panel opens

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by prowler351, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prowler351

prowler351 Thread Starter

i have win98se and i can no longer get into anything in my control panel.everyhting else works fine but when i get into my control panel i cant open a single thing,no game controls or video or modem nothing at all.help please ive tried everything i could think of and i would hate to format my cpu.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG prowler351

You may have a virus/worm such as Blebla which commonly causes this problem and you should do an updated antivirus scan.

But first try this. Do a Find Files for *.cpl and click each one with that extension (control panel extension) to see if they ALL open individually. If one does not it could keep the Control Panel from opening. If they open that way, but not from within the Control panel itself, a virus is more suspect.

You can do an online scan here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

If blebla is found and cleaned, you will probably still need to repair the registry. See this link and follow instructions for using the blebla.inf file if necessary.

http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/alerts/virus/blebla/files.shtml

3. prowler351

thx,im trying out the virus scan right now,ill reply again to tell you if it works

4. prowler351

thanks alot, it was the trojan hoarse BLEBLA.B just like you said,i appreiciate it a bunch my virus scan didnt detect it but the one from your link found 6 infected files,thanks

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good to hear :), just test open your executables, .doc, and media files such as mp3s. If you haven't run the blebla.inf, and have any problems with them, that should correct it. I don't think Trend's HouseCall corrects the registry entries that blebla usually alters.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice