1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Nothing plays...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Hollon67, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollon67

Hollon67 Thread Starter

and I mean NOTHING! Not mp3's, not .avi's, not .wav files. Not even the corny music that people sometimes embed in their Web pages. Nothing, streaming or otherwise. And as of late, friends and relatives have decided to use Incredimail with sound to contact me via e-mail, zip.

It all started with me wanting to have the latest software available on my machine. I installed the Windows media player 9, and immediately started getting the "illegal operation" messages. So I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall Windows media player 7. Since then I have uninstalled, and reinstalled it twice. When I start Windows media player, and try to open a file through the toolbar, in either hangs up saying it is "connecting", or offers Windows media player error messages such as:

The system cannot locate the resource specified

No combination of filters can render the file

I found the following web page that has samples of different types of files, but can't play any of them.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...t.com/support/MediaPlayer/wmptest/wmptest.asp

I have kazaa, real player, QuickTime players installed and they don't do diddley either. But I still have the normal Windows sounds that work just fine. I know in the next week that I'm installing a second hard drive. I can still move my important files to floppies. So I'm not ruling out reformatting completely. But until then would like to be able to listen to music.

Now the fun part, I'm also disabled. I do everything with a trackball and Dragon NaturallySpeaking. It kinda rules out me going into safe mode or DOS. I'm hoping it's just a .dll or two I can extract from my Windows 98se disc, or something. Any ideas?

Be gentle, I'm new!

;)

2. Hollon67

Hollon67 Thread Starter

stayed up all night and google searched about 100 times. Renamed some .dll's, deleted some files, and stumbled upon a codec conflict (mmswitch.ax) and solved my problem. Thanks for all your help. I'll be sure to tell all my friends about it.

not

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice