1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Resolved} - NT Workstation in domain and workgroup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jhwebber, Apr 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhwebber

jhwebber Thread Starter

I use workgroups to divide my domain into manageable sub-groups. I can't seem to get the NT workstations to join a work group and a domain. Does anyone know of a way to achieve this?

------------------
    JW

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Workgroups and Domains are mutually exclusive solutions. If you want to segment your network into managable groups, you can do it with different IP address ranges or different Domain User groups.

It really depends on why you are segmenting your logical network, and what you want to achieve from the seperation.

But you can not have PCs belonging to a domain AND a workgroup at the same time. You may think that is what is happening with your Win9x machines, but it is not actually the case. Either they log onto the domain, or they don't.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. herbieV

herbieV

Does anyone know if Novell NDS would be able to help in this case. By using this i believe you can create workgroups, ease managability, while adding more secuity to your network. Check it out at http://www.novell.com/products/nds/quicklook.html

4. gtguy

gtguy

Not knowing too much about NDS I know that it would not be a viable resolution here. You can easily manage groups within NT and implementing Novell would be complicated and costly. NDS does a good job of grouping as well as synchronizing passwords for multiple servers but I don't see the relevance here.

5. jhwebber

jhwebber Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jhwebber:
    If you go into network properties, and select workgroup, then reboot locally. Then change it back to domain. The view from network nieghborhood, shows the machine belonging to the specific workgroup inside the domain. cool!
    [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice