{RESOLVED}number lock on at boot up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MRBEE

Every time I boot up, the number lock is on. Could that be changed so that number lock is off at boot-up?

I have windows 98 SE.

MRBEE

Oops. I tried to reach that link or thread, or whatever, you gave me, but get an error message instead -- a "404".

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi MRBEE, you might try the link again....it does work.

However, if you enter your bios setup, there should be an entry for NUM LOCK = ON, just change it to off, save changes and reboot.

For some reason the link in rhettman5's post contained the full thread ID, but the one you copied did not. Try again.

The correct key to press to enter the BIOS is usually displayed on the first screen during boot up.

But here is a list for different pc's

Entering CMOS For Different Motherboards
Press Tab during boot=Emachine
Press del during boot= (AMI, Award).
Press Esc during boot= Toshiba.
Press F1 during boot= (Toshiba; Phoenix; Late model PS/1 Value Point and 330s).
Press F2 during boot = (NEC).
Press F10 when square in top RH corner of screen= (Compaq).
Press Ins during boot=IBM PS/2 with reference partition.
Shift Ctrl Alt + Num Pad del= - Olivetti PC Pro.
Ctrl Alt ? =some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90.
Ctrl-Esc = Misc Puters
Ctrl Ins= some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen.
Press reset twice= some Dells.
Ctrl Alt Enter= Dell.
Ctrl Alt Esc=AST Advantage, Award, Tandon.
Ctrl Alt + =Misc Puters
Ctrl Alt S= Phoenix.
Ctrl Alt Ins= (Zenith, Phoenix)
Ctrl S =(Phoenix).
Ctrl Shift Esc= Tandon 386.

I looked at Rhettman's thread and the instructions there were for enabling the num lock on not disabling it. However you should check your BIOS setup for options. Try the DEL key if you are unsure.

MRBEE

Rollin' Rog,

Following the information you posted, I was able to enter the BIOS. I navigated all around, but found nothing that appeared to control the Number Lock.

Is it possible that my computer (a bit antequated Compaq -- just 225 MHz) lacks any means to turn the Number Lock off at boot-up?

I don't know if it would be absent on older systems, but I would expect it to be present on a 220mhz setup.

You are looking for something analogous to "numlock status" such as you see in the attached file.

Attachments

MRBEE

Well, Rollin' Rog, I searched all through my BIOS setup utility, and found nothing referring to NumLock. So, I guess I can't switch it to "off" in boot up.

Incidentally, I discovered a funny thing. Normally I use Netscape 4.7. When I'm in this forum, using 4.7 to get here, I find it impossible to use any of the links posted in the messages. Likewise I was unable to download the GIF attachment in your last post. BUT, when in this forum via Internet Explorer, the links and attachments work fine. Go figure!

If you, or anyone, has any further suggestion on the NumLock problem, please advise.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Did you try adding the line to your config.sys file that was mentioned in the other thread?

MRBEE

Problem Resolved! I stumbled around quite a bit with config.sys. I used "find" in Windows, found it allright, but the config.sys found that way could not be written into. Then, I used my word processor and opened config.sys in the root directory, added NUMLOCK=OFF, and it works to perfection.

This must be the 10th problem, or more, that this forum has solved for me. I'm most grateful.

Great Mr B !

I always try to help, but as you have seen, the pro's always seem to find the answer :)

I have been a member for awhile, and when I saw who was helping you, I stepped aside and learned with you :) ...Rhett

MRBEE

I want to again thank -- ALL OF YOU. Frankly, I find myself addicted to this web site, the help is so forthcoming. Almost look forward to the next glitch.

By the way, by resolving my number lock problem, I estimate I have saved myself, at a bare minimum of 3 bootups per day, well over one thousand clicks per year. That's on the one hand. On the other, I have probably struck 10 thousand clicks in this thread to find the answer. But, it's been great fun.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online