1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}number lock on at boot up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MRBEE, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Every time I boot up, the number lock is on. Could that be changed so that number lock is off at boot-up?

I have windows 98 SE.

2. rhettman5

rhettman5

3. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Oops. I tried to reach that link or thread, or whatever, you gave me, but get an error message instead -- a "404".

4. brianF

brianF

It's an option in the bios, to enable or disable num lock at boot.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi MRBEE, you might try the link again....it does work.

However, if you enter your bios setup, there should be an entry for NUM LOCK = ON, just change it to off, save changes and reboot.

6. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

For some reason the link in rhettman5's post contained the full thread ID, but the one you copied did not. Try again.

The correct key to press to enter the BIOS is usually displayed on the first screen during boot up.

But here is a list for different pc's

Entering CMOS For Different Motherboards
    Press Tab during boot=Emachine
    Press del during boot= (AMI, Award).
    Press Esc during boot= Toshiba.
    Press F1 during boot= (Toshiba; Phoenix; Late model PS/1 Value Point and 330s).
    Press F2 during boot = (NEC).
    Press F10 when square in top RH corner of screen= (Compaq).
    Press Ins during boot=IBM PS/2 with reference partition.
    Shift Ctrl Alt + Num Pad del= - Olivetti PC Pro.
    Ctrl Alt ? =some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90.
    Ctrl-Esc = Misc Puters
    Ctrl Ins= some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen.
    Press reset twice= some Dells.
    Ctrl Alt Enter= Dell.
    Ctrl Alt Esc=AST Advantage, Award, Tandon.
    Ctrl Alt + =Misc Puters
    Ctrl Alt S= Phoenix.
    Ctrl Alt Ins= (Zenith, Phoenix)
    Ctrl S =(Phoenix).
    Ctrl Shift Esc= Tandon 386.

I looked at Rhettman's thread and the instructions there were for enabling the num lock on not disabling it. However you should check your BIOS setup for options. Try the DEL key if you are unsure.

8. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,

Following the information you posted, I was able to enter the BIOS. I navigated all around, but found nothing that appeared to control the Number Lock.

Is it possible that my computer (a bit antequated Compaq -- just 225 MHz) lacks any means to turn the Number Lock off at boot-up?

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know if it would be absent on older systems, but I would expect it to be present on a 220mhz setup.

You are looking for something analogous to "numlock status" such as you see in the attached file.

Attached Files:

• boot.gif
      boot.gif
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
  10. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Well, Rollin' Rog, I searched all through my BIOS setup utility, and found nothing referring to NumLock. So, I guess I can't switch it to "off" in boot up.

Incidentally, I discovered a funny thing. Normally I use Netscape 4.7. When I'm in this forum, using 4.7 to get here, I find it impossible to use any of the links posted in the messages. Likewise I was unable to download the GIF attachment in your last post. BUT, when in this forum via Internet Explorer, the links and attachments work fine. Go figure!

If you, or anyone, has any further suggestion on the NumLock problem, please advise.

11. ~Candy~

Did you try adding the line to your config.sys file that was mentioned in the other thread?

12. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Problem Resolved! I stumbled around quite a bit with config.sys. I used "find" in Windows, found it allright, but the config.sys found that way could not be written into. Then, I used my word processor and opened config.sys in the root directory, added NUMLOCK=OFF, and it works to perfection.

This must be the 10th problem, or more, that this forum has solved for me. I'm most grateful.

13. ~Candy~

Fantastic, MRBEE....thank's for letting us know! :)

14. rhettman5

rhettman5

Great Mr B !

I always try to help, but as you have seen, the pro's always seem to find the answer :)

I have been a member for awhile, and when I saw who was helping you, I stepped aside and learned with you :) ...Rhett

15. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

I want to again thank -- ALL OF YOU. Frankly, I find myself addicted to this web site, the help is so forthcoming. Almost look forward to the next glitch.

By the way, by resolving my number lock problem, I estimate I have saved myself, at a bare minimum of 3 bootups per day, well over one thousand clicks per year. That's on the one hand. On the other, I have probably struck 10 thousand clicks in this thread to find the answer. But, it's been great fun.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice