1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Nvidia Drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RIMMER, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RIMMER

RIMMER Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to these forums bu noticed they are fairly active and decided I should post my problem here in hopes for some quick help

First off, system specs
    -Intel P4 1.8 ghz
    -512 ddr RAM
    -Ge force 3 ti 200
    -SB Live 5.1
    -WinXP Pro
    (note: I have all teh up-to-date drivers for everything on my computer)

I recently did a format and reinstalled everything including the newest Nvidia approved drivers and all of a sudden it takes me two minutes to get to my desktop. First, at the screen where the windows bar goes across the screen it will freeze. It freezes for about 40 seconds, then the bar will finish its thing and I'll go onto the next screen which is entirely black. It will freeze for about 45-60 seconds. I get to my desktop and then everything is fine.

Things I should point out:
    -I have since uninstalled the drivers and I boot in less then 15 seconds
    -Before I formatted, the exact same drivers gave me no problems
    -My friend pointed out that my NIC card and Video card share the same irq which isnt supposed to be a problem with the way winXP runs. I dont have any conflicts (so windows tells me) and I'm not sure if they shared the same irq or not before I formatted (I'm just learning all this new stuff)

If someone could help me out or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind, I'm not very computer smart

Ps. I accidently posted this in a different thread. Sorry about the double post.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I deleted the duplicate ;)

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

My guess is you need updated drivers for your add-in cards--network, modem, video, etc. If that doesn't help, I would try moving some of the PCI devices to other slots.

As difficult as some drivers are to run down, you might want to try moving the devices first.

4. ukboy

ukboy

I updated my nvidia geforce card recently and i was advised to remove the existing drivers, then install the new one. Did you do this first as not removing the previous drivers can cause some conflicts.

5. RIMMER

RIMMER Thread Starter

It's a clean format and with WinXP I can't change the irq's. I also have the latest drivers for everything. Not sure what to do :(

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The reason I suggested moving PCI cards to other slots is that this is the only way to sometimes force other IRQs.

7. RIMMER

RIMMER Thread Starter

I tried moving my sound card around but it did nothing. I only have one AGP slot and I have onboard LAN. So, I can't move anymore cards around :(

I did reformat AGAIN :eek: and I made the installation for a Standard PC which is supposed to allow me to manuallly irq settings (so i read on a different forum). Now my problem is that I lack the knowledge to do this function :(

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Rimmer, I had a similar problem for weeks. I did everything one would expect. Moved the cards, updated drivers, unloaded everything one at a time and all of it was no help.

After almost throwing the thing in the bay I decided it had to be the Nvidia drivers. Even though I had the latest from Nvidia and MS certified, and even went backwards with driver dates, I finally went to the card manufacturer's site and downloaded their Nvidia/Evga driver package.

Since then (2 months now) I haven't had one hang at boot. When I say similar I mean my machine would hang completely just before the desktop would appear about 75% of the time. It drove me nuts and I consider myself fairly adept with puters.

I don't know if this will help you but you posted; Ge force 3 ti 200 and if it were me I'd try going to the manufacturer's site and see if there is a download for your card.

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

I should have posted this too. You might want to download "Bootlog Analyzer". It will give you a text listing of the entire load and the time(s) each item takes. Very good tool.

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/else.htm

Get it here, about the 3rd one down. It's Freeware.

Of course if my first suggestion fixes it, never mind. :D

10. RIMMER

RIMMER Thread Starter

Thanks Griffing, I did find the problem and it wasn't the nvidia drivers (btw, the nvidia drivers do slow it down a bit but that isn't the main problem). I went to msconfig and unchecked some things that I thought I wouldn't need, and apparently my computer doesn't like that. I put msconfig back to "Normal Boot" and it boots at a normal speed now. I still want to disable some of that stuff, so I'm going to have to try it one at a time.

Thank you all for of the suggestions

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice