1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Occasional Blue scrren on boot up w/fatal exception error.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ray Goodall, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ray Goodall

Ray Goodall Thread Starter

Occasionally on boot up, just as the windows 98 screen appears, I get a blue screen and a fatal exception error message and instruction to press any button to continue. Most of the time this works and windows continues to load. Other times it will just lock up and I will have to shut down and restart. I am using an AMD K6-2 w/128meg RAM, 30gig hard drive. Window 98 second edition. After boot up all other programs seem to work fine. Any suggestions anyone?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ray
    Welcome to TSG!
    When you get these fatal exception error is there any more information it give like A fatal exception error has occured in module such and such. If so please let us know what detail you can give and maybe we can narrow the problem down a bit.
    Dave

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. Ray Goodall

The blue screen message reads as follows:
    "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028C154B620.
    The current application will be terminated. Press any key
    to continue."

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hard to troubleshoot intermittant errors like that. But one thing that loads at about that time are the autoexec.bat and config.sys files

You can use the System Configuration Utility, msconfig to examine and selectively bypass suspect files or groups of files.

For starters have a look at what is loading from autoexec.bat and try bypassing that. Nothing there is required for Windows. An antivirus running from there would be particularly suspect.

The Win98 Startup troubleshooter will help guide you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188867

6. Ray Goodall

Many thanks for the tips on the blue screen "fatal error" msg on boot-up. I have at this point downloaded "Waterfall" and installed it and will be looking at a new fan for the CPU. Have gone thru the trouble shooting phase of Windows and followed those instructions. Again, thanks for the leads.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Your welcome Ray, let us know how it goes. Extra cooling for the amd k6/2 is always worthwhile in my observation, even if it isn't the answer for a specific problem.

8. Ray Goodall

First, I would like to thank all who took the time to help on this problem. However, the answer was the video drivers. After a few days of working good and then failing completely I, took the computer to the local tech. He found that the video drivers had been compromised in some manner. Installing new drivers seems to have done the trick. Again your help is much appreciated.

Ray

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Thanks for the follow-up Ray, I'm glad to hear you found an answer.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice