1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] OE6 error msg. - deja vu

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GAinGA, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GAinGA

GAinGA Thread Starter

OE6 opens normally, but when I click on "receive all" OE freezes
    and I get "This program has performed an illegal operation" and Error Msg.: "MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module MSOE.DLL @017f10080f4bb".

About 6 mos. ago I had a similar problem that was "fixed" by unchecking "send and receive messages at startup". I've been doing it manually ever since without any trouble.

I haven't changed or updated anything that I'm aware of, I just suddenly can't receive e-mail.

I went to tomsterdam and I don't have any read-only *.dbx files
    and I don't use any mail rules.

If anyone has any troubleshooting suggestions, I would be eternally grateful.

GA
    :confused:

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

You could try replacing the dll. You can pick one up here at missing files Rename the current file to msoe.old then copy the one you pick up to the same directory.

Also do a basic clean up of your machine, delete temp files, scandisk, defrag...etc.

3. GAinGA

GAinGA Thread Starter

Hi cybertech,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did the basic machine clean up,
    but so far, no luck.

I can access OE6 and open all folders, tool bar, etc. but any attempt to send or receive mail or "refresh" results in the same freeze-up and error msg.

I have not replaced msoe.dll yet, because after searching everywhere I can think of, "alltheweb", google, etc. for a download, I haven't been able to find an available copy that isn't an older version than I currently have. Any suggestions for the latest version??

I use Win98SE, IE6 ver: 6.0.2800.1106IC, OE6(SP-1) ver: 6.00.2800.1106, msoe.dll ver: 6.00.2800.1158

One last question: Does anyone know if it's possible to re-download SP-1 and overwrite existing files (such as msoe.dll)?
    Or would I then have to go out and kill myself?

Again thanks, GA

4. debel

debel

5. GAinGA

GAinGA Thread Starter

Hi debel,

I checked the link you suggested. However, directdb.dll problems
    seem to relate to "news" whereas mine is strictly "mail". Thanks
    anyhow.

For anyone who may have a similar problem, I hope my experience can provide a clue.

After a week of no ssuccess in trying to get OE6 to receive messages, today SBC Yahoo - dial offered a free software update.
    I installed it, rebooted, and ta-da !! OE6 works again!

I guess the installation re-set my e-mail accounts somehow. I had checked them and thought they were OK and unchanged. And I surely wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place, so I can avoid it in the future.

Oh well, maybe it really is better to be lucky than good.

Color me Solved.

GA:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice